Chapter 20

20th August, 2019

An year later.
Istanbul, Turkey.

"Yes Mr. Charles. My secretary will send the documents to you by evening. Pleasure to be working with you."

"I had thought that the official contract signing will be done face to face Mr. Ibrahim?"

"Sorry to have disappointed you but please try to understand that I'm currently out of the country but since work needs my attention, I'm managing it somehow."

"Just saying Mr. Ibrahim. But I'm happy to have signed this deal with you. I hope we succeed together."

"I hope so too. Have a good day Mr. Charles."

"You too Mr. Ibrahim."

Cutting the call, he tossed his cellphone in his trouser pocket and getting his hoodie over his head, he stepped out of his apartment as he locked it behind him. Descending the stairs, he headed out of his apartment building and began walking to the nearby convenience store to get himself something to eat. It was afternoon time and as usual Shumail had skipped his breakfast not wanting to eat and now not being able to control his hunger, he stepped out to buy himself some junk food to eat and kill his hunger.

While walking down the road to the store, he connected his call to his secretary and plugged in his ear pods and waited for her to answer the call as he continued to walk with his hands stuffed in his hoodie.

"Good morning Ms. Rose. It's me. How's the work going?" He questioned.

"Good morning Sir. I'm trying my best to take care of everything and report every detail to you. How are you doing?" His secretary spoke from the other end and for a moment Shumail felt bad for have given all the major responsibilities to her, though he had assigned two more persons to share her work load but since the CEO being gone, it was but natural that work was hard to get done.

"Well I'm not doing really well but who cares!" He mumbled under his breath.

"Oh! I'm absolutely good Ms. Rose." He answered with fake enthusiasm. "Well I called to inform you that I have faxed you the signed documents. So be sure to deliver it to Mr. Charles secretary yourself."

"Will do that Sir."

"Good. See you then."

"Sir?" He was about to cut the call, when his secretary suddenly spoke. "Aahil Sir, Zaid Sir and Shahmeer Sir have been visiting the office regularly to inquire about you. They keep pleading me to give them your contact number. What should I do?" His secretary questioned and hearing that, amidst his pain a smile spread across his lips, knowing that there are at least three person in his life who actually care about him.

"Next time they come, tell them I'm coming back this week."

"Really Sir? That's such a relief." Came his secretary's voice, and he could feel her taking in a breath of relief.

"Anything else?" He questioned.

"Should I inform Mrs. Ibrahim too?"

On the mention of Eram's name, all the memories began coming back to him which he had tried his best to bury deep down in his heart in the past one year. Shumail felt his heart twist in pain as he closed his eyes for a brief moment before he opened them and looked ahead. His gaze landed on an aged couple who were coming his way, holding hands and seeing them, he couldn't help but remember the little time he spent with Eram.

Shumail knew he was fooling himself but he couldn't stop himself from walking towards Eram, which eventually resulted in his heartbreak.

Shumail knew the truth well enough but he still chose to walk on the path which he knew was going to hurt him badly.