Chapter 3

15th August, 2018

Shumail sat by the window of the coffee shop as he looked out at the white velvety carpet that covered the entire place in the form of snow as he held a hot mug of coffee tightly in his hands. The steam could be seen coming out of the mug and the warmth of the mug helped his hands to get some warmth as well.

His nose had turned red due to the cold and his face had turned pale white. The fur coat that he wore kept him warm and cozy in the chilly wheather outside but he needed a strong hot coffee to get his day started.

He sipped on his drink enjoying the strong taste of it and licked his lips to wipe off the small of a mustache formed on his upper lips as he placed the mug down again and gazed outside. The window had a thin layer of moisture formed on it and he proceeded to wipe the window with the palm of his hand to clear the glass. He saw children playing in the nearby park, some having a snow fight and some busy making snow birds as he smiled looking at their innocence.

As he sipped the last of his coffee, he placed the mug down and keeping a $10 at the table, he took his fur coat and wore it and getting all his belongings, he made his way out. He pulled the hood of his fur coat over his head to cover himself from the heavy snowfall and made a jog for his car parked at a distance from the shop.

It was early morning and people were running around to get to their workplaces, cars moving in all directions. He could hear chattering of people on their cellphones as they talked work. He saw the signal for pedestrians wanting to cross the road was about to turn red and he didn't wanted to keep waiting for it to turn green again so he walked as quickly as he could but by the time he reached around the corner, the signal had already turned red.

He huffed out loud and looked around to see he was the only one standing. Slapping his hand on his forhead, he waited for the signal to turn green again. He was standing at the side walk when someone suddenly collided with him throwing him off balance. He somehow managed himself from falling and turned around, ready to shout at the person but he couldn't get a word out of his lips.

Bent on the floor was a girl as she hurried to collect her stuffs which had fallen on the floor due to their collision. As she was done collecting her stuffs, she stood up swinging her bag on her arms and turned around to face Shumail making him surprised to see the girl he had hit with his car. Shumail had tried to search for her after he was told that she had left but he couldn't get to her and eventually he had given up his search.

But now seeing her standing in front of him after a week to that incident he was quite happy that he could get to apologise to her.

"I'm sorry." She spoke as she looked at him. "Actually I lost my balance due to my fractured leg and while trying to steady myself I bumped into you. I'm really sorry." She smiled politely.

Shumail looked down at her feet and felt guilty for her condition as he looked back up at her face with apologetic eyes. "I'm sorry." He voiced his thoughts.

"Oh please don't be. It's a small fracture." She said as she waved her hand in front of her.

"No I mean I'm sorry for it was me who is responsible for this condition of yours." Shumail spoke making her look at him through scrunched eyebrows. "I'm so sorry I couldn't get to apologise to you that day. I was in a little hurry but believe me I had returned to meet you and apologise to you but you were gone by that time."

"So you mean you were the one who had hit me that day with your car?" She asked raising her eyebrows at him.

"Yeah." Shumail spoke clearly embarrassed. "Believe me I tried to search for you but I knew nothing about you so couldn't find you but I'm glad that you met me today. Atleast now I can apologise to you for my awful behaviour. I'm really very sorry."