Chapter 4: The Capitol

I woke up to Effie, telling us that we have a "busy busy schedule."

We had arrived at the Capitol. The train slowed. I ran out to a different car, where Talon, Katniss and Peeta were looking out the windows to the Capitol. People lined the streets, the colorful outfits giving me a head ache. I gave a shy smile to this one women who I made eye contact with me. After that, I made an effort to smile at everyone. If I needed to kiss up to every Capitol Citizen to stay alive and go home to Luke, then that's what I'll do. 

The more Capitol people that I touch, the more that will pay to give me special things. In a three year long Hunger Games, there is no way that I will last if I don't have any sponsors. I put my hand to my stomach, thinking of Luke and I's child within. That child is the largest chance I have of getting any sponsors.

"See you at the the Tribute Parade, Knives." Talon said to me.

"See you, Sickle." I replied to him. He smiled a little bit.

                                                                                 ***

The next hours were spent with me being poked and prodded. Waxing of legs, back, underarms, back of neck, my upper lip, my eyebrows. Places I didn't even think of as hairy. My nails were soaked in a water solution and filed.  My hair brushed again and again. The prep team, Venia, Octavia and Flavius are preparing for the Tribute Parade, where Talon and I will be making our first impression. I wonder what Cinna has planned for the tributes this year. I've known Cinna my entire life. He occasionally visits Katniss and her family, therefor he also visits me. I've always wondered how they're going to try to top the 74th Hunger Games. With Katniss and Peeta being on fire during the Tribute Parade, they made a huge impression. Never since then has anyone topped the Girl on Fire. 

I got greased down, where they proceeded to remove any other hairs. They examine their handiwork, smile nicely and leave the room. I sit alone in the white room for a few minutes, hand on my stomach. I try to force down the tears that threaten my eyes. The closer we get to the games, the less likely it seems to me that my child or myself are going to live through this. 

Just as I thought that I was going to lose it, Cinna walked in through the door. The second I saw him, it was like all of my sadness melted away. I was so relieved to see him. I ran and gave him a huge hug, glad to have the feeling of his arms around me once again. 

"It's nice to see you again, Willow. I wish that it was under different circumstances." Cinna said to me.

I stepped away from him and looked into his gold-lined eyes. "What do you have for me?"

He smiled at me and went to the corner of the room, where out of a cupboard he revealed my dress.

The dress was exquisite. At the top, there was a low neckline. The top of the dress was black, but as you moved down to the bottom of the dress, it slowly changed colors, ending at the bottom with red. The dress resembled the idea of burning coals. I couldn't help but noticing that at the top of the dress, there seemed to be small mechanisms that were attached to the rhinestones.

"What are those?" I asked, grabbing the dress and examining the mechanism.

"Small smoke machines. They're within the rhinestones, so it's hard to see them. Especially when smoke will be coming out of them. Don't worry, the smoke is settle. You will still be able to see your face. Talon's outfit is similar to this, only it's a suit."

I simply nodded and continued to examine the outfit. I turned around to say something to Cinna, and I noticed the large, circle shaped pad that he had in his hands.