Chapter 2: Surprise

The Peacekeepers had to rush me to a bathroom, where I spent some more time throwing up. When I was finally done, I was brought to the room where I would get to say good-bye to my loved ones. In first was Luke. I launched myself into his arms. The two of us just stood there and cried.

"Please try your hardest. I will do everything I can to sponsor you, okay?" Luke said.

"I will. I promise. Promise me that you won't leave me while I'm gone." I replied.

"Of course not." Luke pulled away and grabbed my hands, running his thumb over my diamond ring. "You will get out alive. Okay?"

I nodded. He pressed his lips into mine. We held our lip lock for a good ten seconds before the Peacekeeper opened the door, telling him that he had to leave. In came my mom. 

"You have to ask Finnick to stick around and help you hunt." I said.

"He has to mentor the District 4 tributes. Katniss will be mentoring you. I can't ask them to stay behind for me. I have enough yarn saved up to get myself food, at least for a little while. Don't worry. I'll figure it out." 

I nodded and hugged her, crying into her shoulder. I don't think I'm strong enough to go through all of this. Three years in the arena. Three years running away from people who are trying to kill me. I don't think that this is something that I can handle. All to soon, the Peacekeeper opened the door again.

"I'm sorry Madge. Your time is up." He said.

My mom pulled away from me, gave me a quick kiss on the forehead and whispered, "Stay alive, alright? I want to see you again."  

I smiled at her. It wasn't a happy smile. More like a sad smile that said more words than my mouth could. She seemed to understand what it meant.

Then in came Katniss and Rue. I wasn't expecting Katniss to come in, considering how she's my mentor. She doesn't need to say goodbye yet. We've got plenty of time to say goodbye before I actually go into the arena.

Rue hugged me and cried into my shoulder. "I wanted to volunteer. I was going to do it." She blubbered. 

"I didn't want you to volunteer for me." I whispered to her, running my hand through her hair. 

"Willow. Listen to me." Katniss said sternly. "You have to stop crying. You're going to walk out of this room and straight onto a train. You're only out in public for about one minute, but there's going to be video cameras everywhere. If you show that you're crying, those other tributes are going to eat you up. That's why I sent in Luke first. I figured he would be the most emotional goodbye." She glanced down at my ring. She must've noticed it earlier. "So wipe your tears, alright?" She wiped away the tears on my face and kissed my forehead. "See you in a few minutes."

Rue stood up to follow her mom out. At the last second, she turned around and smiled at me. She put her hand to her lips then held out three fingers to me. I did the same for her. The symbol meant goodbye to a loved one, a sign of respect.

"Good luck." Rue said. 

"I'll miss you." I replied.

With that, the door was closed. No more visitors. That was the last interaction I will have with District 12 for the next three years. The thought brought tears to my eyes, but I remembered what Katniss said and quickly willed them away. She's right. All of the times that you see a Tribute crying when they get on the train, they seemed to be targeted as week. They never get any alliances and the Careers get rid of them quickly.

I was very relieved that Katniss gave me that piece of advice, because much too soon, Peacekeepers came to escort me off to the train. I stepped out of the Justice Building. Talon was beside me. He had a look of stone on his face. Katniss must've told him, too. Or maybe he already knew. Katniss was right. There were video cameras everywhere. Talon and I, emotionless, got into the fast Capitol train. I was very relieved to get out of the cameras and the lights. I'll be spending possibly three years in those cameras. It seems like such an impossible length of time. 

"My name is Talon." Talon said, extending his hand out to me. I took his hand and shook it.

"Hi. My name is Willow." 

The two of us sat down in the luxury chairs of the Capitol. Chairs that were surely meant by District 1. The train seemed to have an endless amount of food. Everything was so nice compared to what you found in District 12. Katniss had told me about the train before, but I had never imagined quite this much luxury.

Katniss and Peeta walked into the room, hand in hand, Effie right behind them. Katniss and Peeta introduced themselves to Talon. They didn't bother with me, of course. They have known me my entire life. 

"Do you have any advice to give to us?" Talon asked. It seemed kind of like a stupid question. Of course both of them have loads of advice. They have survived the Games twice. 

"Stay alive, sweetheart." Peeta said in a low, husky voice unlike his own. Both him and Katniss giggled. A silent joke seemed to past between them. Seeing them together like this made me miss Luke. I've been away from him for ten minutes and I already miss him. This is going to be a hard three years, if I even make it that far. 

"But first things first, we're sending Willow off to the train's doctor." Katniss said. 

"Katniss, I don't-" I started to say before Peeta cut me off. 

"Willow, you mean a lot to both of us. Please go to the doctor. We know how much you hate getting help, but we also know that this is unlike you to be so sick and weak. Something may be wrong. They will help. Go on." Peeta said.

I sighed and did as he said. When I got to the train doctor, a women was waiting for me there. Clearly she was expecting me. I described what's been going on to her, and she wasted no time asking me questions. 

"Have you been sexually active?" She asked me. 

I blushed. "Yes."

"How long has it been?" 

"Four weeks ago." I replied. "First time."

"Interesting." Said the doctor. She gave me a cup, told me to urinate in it and bring it back to her. I did as she said.

"Thank you. I will call you back here in an hour. Go on and find your mentors." 

I went and found Katniss and Peeta. They weren't discussing anything relevant to the games to Talon yet. Just making conversation. They were waiting for me. 

"Well?" Katniss asked.

"She's doing some sort of test. I'm supposed to go back in an hour." I replied.

Katniss and Peeta looked at each other the same time. I could tell that what I said had struck something up in both of their minds. They both looked scared. 

"Could she be taken out of the Games if something's wrong?" Talon asked. 

Peeta shook his head. "No. If something's wrong, then they won't do anything. She'll go into the arena with no sponsors. No body is going to give medicine to the girl that may be too ill to win."

"Great," I muttered. 

For the next hour, Katniss and Peeta told us many different things. They told us to look for water first and potential places that we could find water, if we can't find a stream. They told us what to do when the cannon goes off and the Games are starting. The hour went by very fast, suddenly, I was in the doctor's office again. 

"So the urine test I took confirmed my suspicions. You're pregnant."

I'm not exactly sure if the doctor kept on talking. My ears started to ring. My hands went numb. I can't be pregnant. No. This can't happen. Not when I'm going into the Hunger Games. Not when the father is home in 12 and I'm heading to the Capitol. This can't be happening right now. 

"We can get rid of the baby, if you would like." The doctor said.

Get rid of the baby? Such an easier option. I woudn't have to go into the Games caring for two rather than one. But I can't get rid of my baby. I could never bring myself to do that. This year's Hunger Games are three years long. If I survive that long, I'm going to have the baby in the arena. My child is going to be part of the Hunger Games. 

Well, I guess that this year, there's going to be three District 12 tributes. 

***

Do you like what you've read? Go to my website ( https://haileyladonna.wordpress.com/) and sign up for email notifications. There, you'll find work not published to Wattpad, as well as blog posts and updates on my life.