Chapter Twelve ~ Everything goes Haywire.

The hours, days, weeks and months that followed were to be the most longest, agonising and painful that my family and I had ever had to experience, and that which became both damaging and detrimental causing a profound effect on our lives for many years to come.

My brother was in our neighbours kitchen talking to the father of the home, their children who were older, kept popping into the front room to see if I was ok, did I need a drink, something to eat?

And that I could turn the tv channel over if I wanted to, but I had always been taught that I wasn't allowed to touch the tv, I had to ask if I wanted to watch another channel and then mum, dad or Andrew would turn the tv channel over for me.

I didn't want any of those things. I just wanted to see my mum and my baby brother Matthew, and know if everything was ok?

I wandered into the kitchen, confused and scared as my brother Andrew and I didn't really know our new Italian Neighbours and it felt quite strange being in our new neighbours home.

The father was very kind and asked me if I was ok?

I nodded, not wanting to say anything as I didn't understand what I was feeling, I just felt numb and strange and wanted to go home.

Andrew was standing up and his face was still wet with tears, I had never seen him look so upset, so I rushed over and hugged his legs and he placed a hand on me trying to hug me back but it only served to make him burst into tears all over again.

One of the older children ushered me into the Living room and got some toys out for me to play with and told me my brother would come and be with me in a minute and not to worry.

Easier said than done when I didn't understand anything that had happened and was going on even at that moment. I just wanted my mum and my little brother to be ok.

The hours passed and I grew tired and hungry and really wanted to be back in my own home by now.

My brother had been in briefly to check I was ok, but didn't stay with me for long as he was still extremely upset and could hardly talk to me without starting to cry all over again.

In the end I wandered back into the kitchen, as by now it was getting dark and it had seemed such a long time from when I had last seen mum and Matthew.

I wondered how much longer they would both be? Did dad know? Had he been told? Dad had been at work and so someone would have had to let him know somehow. All these questions and more kept playing over and over in my mind, making me feel even more restless and afraid of what might be.

In the kitchen I could smell food cooking, I asked what it was and I was told it was Spaghetti Bolognaise and if I was good and played for a little longer then I could have some too.

I didn't want any, all I wanted was to just go home. I asked when was my mummy coming home and was my little brother ok? Did my dad know and was trixie ok?

Sad nods came from the father who replied that my daddy would come and get me when they got home from the hospital and that I shouldn't worry, everything would be ok.

My brother had stopped crying and was the quietest I had ever seen him, he just sat at their kitchen table, reading a newspaper, but I could tell he wasn't really reading it and his mind seemed so troubled and far away.

I went to ask my brother when we would be able to go home, and my brother put me on his lap and hugged me close burying his head in my shoulder and hair.

I hugged him back tightly and sat quietly on his lap whilst he tried to read the newspaper and answer politely when we was asked if he wanted a drink or some food.