Chapter Six ~ What a Jolly Fine Mess indeed.

On the morning of the meeting with the Headmistress at my school, I really didn't want to get up, my bottom was still quite sore and starting very slowly to bruise and I just didn't want to have to deal with it all again today. However, mum explained to me after she had managed to get me out of bed and eat some breakfast that I did need to be there so that mum could show the bruises that were starting to show and hand marks on my bottom to the headmistress.

I certainly wasn't enjoying having to show my bottom to people but knew that mum had to be able to prove what had happened so that there would be a resolution.

Mum dressed me smartly and done my hair like she always did in the mornings as it was starting to grow and darken now to a reddy/brown colour which mum said was very pretty and that it was known as an auburn colour.

When I was smaller my hair was like the colour of corn so mum knew it would darken a little as I grew bigger, and she was very proud of my hair too.

Mum put on her Sunday best clothes, coat and shoes and she ruffled her dark curls which fell just to the tip of her shoulders. Spritzed a little of daytime perfume on and then gathered her handbag and the notes that she had written from the night before.

We made our way to my school and mum took a deep breath before entering th school hall and making her way to the headmistress's office at the back of the hallway, all the while holding my hand and reassuring me that everything would be ok.

We walked past my class where my teacher was teaching and mums back stiffened slightly in animosity I assumed to my teacher, as by now mum was very determined to have my teachers card marked for what she had done.

The secretary greeted us and asked us to wait for a moment whilst my headmistress finished a telephone call in her office.

We didn't have to wait long before my headmistress appeared at her office door, smiled and said hello to me and addressed mum politely before inviting us into her office.

Mum sat down opposite my headmistress and I stood up, as my bottom was still way too sore for me to sit on a hard backed wooden chair.

Mum and the headmistress discussed what had happened and as mum explained what had happened, my headmistress's face become more concerned and a little shocked by every sentence mum was re-iterating to her about the incident with my teacher and me.

I squirmed uncomfortably and I really didn't want to be in my headmistress's office at all. The headmistress nodded engaged totally in mums conversation with her and then asked to see the bruises and handprints on my bottom. Mum pulled up my dress and showed the red and by now forming of bruise marks and the headmistress looked rather taken aback and shocked that one of her teachers had done this to one of her pupils and agreed a thorough investigation would take place.

Mum then sent me to sit with the secretary as she wished to discuss further some of my history with my headmistress and so this was not meant for little ears.

Sitting outside on a big puffy cushion that the secretary had for for me so that I could sit down at last. I was offered a drink and biscuit and the secretary explained that my mummy wouldn't be long and to wait with her until mum was finished.

In those days it was manual typewriters and old fashioned style telephones that gave out a shrill ring and had a circular glass dial that would be used to put in the numbers to telephone other people. The secretary clicked away at her typewriter on her desk and I sat quietly waiting for mum to finish talking in my headmistress's office.

I noticed the door to the office had frosted glass and so I couldn't see mum or hear anything that was being discussed further.

The secretary finished typing her letter and asked if I would like some crayons and paper to draw with. I nodded yes please as by now I was getting quite bored sitting waiting for mum.