Chapter 10

Everything had happened so fast that James did not even have time to process the situation until Guardian Ashley was yelling at him to run. The class had started out fine, even ifseeing Sara there had shocked him at first but he went ahead with the class like everything was normal until it wasn’t. James had told everyone to take a break when he sensed something was wrong and Guardian Ashely must of sensed it too because she was looking at him before everything happened.

There was silence in the building until a loud bang rang out as black figures smashed through the window sending glass shards flying and people running. Amongst the class James could hear Guardian Ashley yelling at him and his first reaction was to run over to Sara, who was huddled on the ground hands over her ears as she screamed, “Sara we have to go!”, he tried not to yell to startle her but with all the noise going on it was the only way for him to get her attention. Behind him he could hear Guardian Ashley fighting off the demons as they tried to make their way over to him and Sara.

Guardian Ashley was out numbered, she shot James one more look that he knew they had to get out of here fast and somewhere safe. So James mustered up all the strength he had leaning down to pick up Sara and usher her towards the exit door of the building, along the way pushing demons out of the way. James did not like leaving Guardian Ashley behind but he knew they both had to get to safety and hopefully more Guardians would arrive.

With any luck Ronin would be showing up soon, James knew he was at the Circle right now but with the Guardian and Child of the Light bond they shared no matter the distance between them Ronin would sense the current danger both James and Sara were in. As they got closer to the exit, a demon made its slow approach towards them; it was blocking the exit so James kicked it aside. The demon hissed at him swiping its long talons at James leg but he was already out the door and into the back parking lot of the Station Plaza. “I don’t understand... Why are those people attacking us”, Sara spoke for the first time since the attack. She did not understand because they looked like humans to her and not demons as James saw them.

“I’ll explain everything later, first we need to get somewhere safe and fast”, he spoke knowing that the demons would be out here soon. Although still scarred and shaken Sara suggested going to her legal guardian Lillian’s house, it was not that far from here and they could make it there by foot.

James shook his head; they would take his car, which was much faster. He quickly helped Sara into the passenger side before getting himself in the driver side, as he stumbled to get the keys into the ignition, a tall black figure stood in their path. James could start to see the demon taking shape they needed to get out of here fast. Finally getting the key in, he turned the switch the engine roaring to life and slammed it into drive, flooring the gas pedal as hard as he could to gather speed. Plowing right into the demon causing it flip over the roof and falling flat onto the ground.

He could hear the gasp from Sara beside him, “Oh my god! James you just ran over that man, we have to go back. What if he’s injured”, she went on freaking out from the passenger seat. James did not have time for this right now, “Look Sara, there’s a lot going on right now and I promise I will try to explain everything to you later but I need you to focus right now to tell me the directions to where I need to go”.

Sara took a deep breath nodding her head before telling systematic directions to Lillian’s house. James did not stop for any lights and probably was breaking serval laws with the speed he was traveling at but that was the last thing he was thinking about. His old Honda civic came to a screeching halt, the tires burning rubber against the pavement of the driveway.

As James bailed out of the driver’s side a woman came rushing from inside the home, he had to guess this was Lillian, “What is going on? Who are you?” she questioned. James was about to answer her when Sara stepped out of the car and ran straight into Lillian’s out stretched arms, retelling the events that had happened in the last few hours. There was a hissing sound coming from behind James, spinning around quickly as five fire demons appeared at the edge of the driveway.

When they spotted James they advanced quickly swirls of flames dancing between their molten lava fingers, one of them raised the flames high into the air throwing a ball of fire in James direction. He had just enough time to jump out of the way turning to yell at Sara and Lillian, “Quick, get inside now”. All three of them moved into the house for safety but it would not last long.

James drew the weapon Ronin had given him to use in dire situations, such as the one now. Lillian was shielding Sara as the front door burst into flames as one fire demon after another entered the home. They were in their full form for the first time both Lillian and Sara could see the unholy creatures for what they were and not just humans.

Flames crawled off their bodies and rolled onto the floor plus the surrounding area. If James did not strike them down now they would burn the house down and all of them inside with it. Positioning his body in a defensive stance gripping the Guardian knife in his hand, ready to attack the first fire demon that dared to attack them. As the flames got higher so did the heat inside the house and all three of them had to keep moving in order to avoid falling debris from the home.

James had been able to take down two demons now just leaving three demons left to deal with. The inferno surrounding them was becoming too much for them and James was losing strength to fight off the last of the demons, who knew this as they inched closer and closer. Lillian shouts from behind James, “We need to get out of the house before it burns down, quickly through the back door”. Lillian led the way with Sara behind her and James taking the rear, slipping out the back door making it to the front lawn as they turned to watch what was left of Lillian’s house burning to the ground.

The last three fire demons were not too far behind them reappearing on the grass before them, scoring the earth beneath their feet. James was ready for them to attack he had to be in order to protect Sara and Lillian from the demons.

The bigger of the three stepped forward to challenge James to combat and he was about to accept when a portal of flames formed out of nowhere, Ronin stepping through sword raised above his head, steel crashing down upon the head of the fire demon cutting right through like smooth butter.

A cloud of dust filled the air, ash rained down onto the ground where the fire demon had once stood moments ago. James let out a sigh of relief seeing Ronin there but there was no time to greet his friend and guardian, not when the dangers was still very much in front of them. Ronin side glanced at James and nodded his head in the direction of the last two remaining fire demons. James understood they would team up against one demon, take that one down and then focus all their combine energy and strength to take down the last one standing.

Ronin moved closer to James as they stepped side by side to attack, they were distracted from the other demon that they did not notice it moving towards where Lillian and Sara were located until Lillian yelled out in pain. Both men turned quickly, in an attempt to protect Sara from the demon, it had lashed out at Lillian causing a small burn on her leg. Sara stood frozen in the spot, terror across her face as she looked on.

Ronin moved into action faster than James did, as the fire demon pulled back its fiery talons ready to run them through both the injured Lillian and the scarred Sara. Everything was a blur; time seemed to slow down as James watched the scene play out in slow motion. Ronin rushed to step in front of Lillian just as the demon talons slashed into Ronin, clothing and flesh ripping.

James could not move from his spot to help but Sara moved somehow finding her feet, running forward screaming, “NO!” She screamed again, “No stop it!” this time much louder than the first; a flash of bright light engulfed the space, blinding James to the point where he had to turn away.