Chapter 1

Ronin Alexander woke up with a start, sweat dripping down his forehead and back as he sat upright in his bed. Looking over to spot the time on the clock, three in the morning, each morning at the exact time the same nightmare played in his mind. At first, he had thought it was a sign or meant of events to come but they were more like events of the past. Ever since Ronin could remember, he had been different from other kids his age, he had had visions from an early age, sometimes it was the past, present and small pieces of the future. He had never been able to control them or know much about them until the Guardians had taken him in when he was five, after losing his parents to a house fire.

Ronin had been moved around to many different homes because the foster parents had never been able to handle him and his 'differences' from normal children his age. In order to survive Ronin fled to the streets, one night while he was hiding in a church he was greeted by a priest who knew right away that there was something special about Ronin. The old priest offered the boy a chance to do a deed for the greater good of the world and find a place where he would be accepted for who he truly was meant to be. That had been the day he joined the Guardians and had been loyal to them since.

The Guardians were a secret organisation that protected the world from The Darkness, every two thousand years a child is born with pure light held within them. The Guardians call them the Children of the Light; they hold great power to stop The Darkness and all the creatures that lurk in its shadows. Vampires, Werewolves and even Demons who are the most powerful of all darkness creatures roam the earth. They threaten the purity of the light and the light energy of the children. For centuries, the Guardians have fought a secret war with The Darkness unknown to the mere humans that walk among them, protecting them from the Darkness.

Several months ago, Ronin had had a vision of two people who were the next Children of Light. Twenty-three-year-old Sara Danvers, who lived in a small town, called New Haven, as well James Hillman, the same age as Sara and the second Child of Light. The Guardians had a wide range of access to the internet in order to gain information on the people Ronin had seen in his vision. He slid out of bed and walked bare footed into the bathroom, flicking the light switch on, blinding him for a moment until his eyes could adjust to the sudden change.

He moved to the mirror the stare at his reflection turning on the tape until cold water poured down into the sink, Ronin leaned over cupping the cool water into his hands before splashing in onto his face. He sighed lightly turning off the tap and drying his face to take a few moments to stare at the mirror. When he had arrived in New Haven, the Guardians had given him strict rules to only follow James for a couple of days to make sure that he was in fact a Child of the Light.

Many of them have no idea their true nature until they are faced with danger, their internal body defensive takes over unleashing the pure light energy within. Such an event happened a month ago while Ronin was keeping his distance from James. Ronin had been sleeping in his jeep outside the bar that James and his friends were hanging out when he heard screaming coming from the back alley of the bar, Ronin had rushed out of his jeep and made it

into the alleyway where he stopped. Straight in front of him was a Demon, a dark black mass with scales and horns, black smoke rolling off its body with its blood red eyes burning right into James. Demons were tricky to kill because they were the strongest and oldest darkness creatures, which meant only a skilled Guardian, could take them down.

Ronin drew a blade from his pocket and lunged forward trying to hit the demon at its weak spots. Smoke demons were very fast as they vanished before reappearing elsewhere. This was not going to be an easy fight, every time Ronin went to lean forward enough to strike the demon it vanished and reappeared somewhere else. The woman in the alleyway had passed out from shock, and James stood there stunned and in a daze not knowing what to do, Ronin's duty was to protect James even if it meant his own life. The demon appeared gripping onto Ronin; black mist crawled down the demons arm and surrounded Ronin.