Chapter 9

Ronin nodded and took one last look at his friend, before stepping through the barrier, finally reaching the Circle. The large building in front of him was structured just like an ancient temple one might find in a history book around the ancient Greek time. White marble stone columns all around the building by the main entertence stood five giant stone statues each was craved into the image of the first Guardians, Custodio, Adeodatus, Dominic, Lucius and Caelestis.

They were the first line of defense for the Circle, if an unholy creature somehow made it past the unbreakable magic ward, the statues would become almost life like and attack any threat to the Circle and the Elders within it. The second line if they made it through the stone defenders was the Guardian team assigned to the Circle and the Elders, managed by Head Guardian Nicole.

As Ronin passed the Guardian statues, he took a moment to reflect on what an honor it was to be a Guardian and keep the memory of these courageous five Guardians alive. Pushing the heavy doors of the Circle entertence open, he was greeted by three white marble figures depicting the three priests who gave up their lives in order to save the world from The Darkness and created the first Children of the Light.

While Elder Theokritos had been the fourth priest to see The Darkness come to be, he had been chosen to carry on the wisdom and teachings to the new Children of the Light and help form the Guardians. His fellow priests, Photine, Akakios and Eusebios needed to be honored and not forgotten, without them, The Darkness would have consumed everything and the world would be much different today.

Ronin was admiring the quality of the statues when she saw Guardian Nicole approaching him, he turned and greeted her she returned it before Ronin spoke to her, “Before I speak with the Elder, I just wanted to check in with you and see how you’re doing. I know today is….” he wasn’t able to finish his sentence before Nicole was putting up her hand to interrupt him, “Thanks for your concern Ronin, but I don’t want to talk about it today”. Ronin understood and would not push the matter any further, while Ronin had been an only child he could not imagine the lost Nicole must have felt when she lost her twin brother on a field assignment.

He did know it had affected her enough that she no longer wanted to be a field Guardian, the council had asked him what his suggestion would be for her. Ronin had known Nicole and her brother for years and he knew Nicole was a great Guardian but this event with her brother had scarred her, so even though she was still young at the time. Ronin had recommended Nicole be put in charge of the protection team at the Circle and be assigned to Elder Theokritos who would be able to help Nicole heal any mental wounds and share his wisdom with the young Guardian.

That had been a few years now and Ronin was happy to see that Nicole had made Head Guardian and shape into the Guardian he knew she could be. Nicole left Ronin by himself for a moment while she went to bring Elder Theokritos to speak with him.

The Elder had gotten quite frail in the last few months and required assistance getting around. Nicole returned with the Elder who was dressed in a white robe a hood covering his face using Nicole as support. Ronin caught a peak of the Elders skin, which had turned a white color to the point of blending in with the colours of the robes he wore. Ronin bowed his head, “Greetings Elder Theokritos” he spoke, there was a pause before the Elder spoke, “Salvete meo pveri mei et exavdi eos coram te peto”. While Ronin did not understand what the Elder was saying, Nicole was there to translate for him.

Elder Theokritos speak only Latin, as do many of the other Elders; all Guardians who choose protection duty must learn Latin. “Elder Theokritos tell you greetings and that you request his presence”, Nicole spoke letting Ronin know exactly what the Elder had said. Ronin explains the situation with Lillian and seeks guidance from the Elder.

The Elder express his option on the matter, Nicole explaining the important piece to him. Ac tenebras (The Darkness), Puer luminis (Child of Light, speaking about Sara), how the situation with Lillian being born again very rare similar to the acient ignis avem creature (Firebird also known as the Phoenix). Elder Theokritos then explains that Ronin much keep a close eye on both Sara and Lillian because he feels that the erantque in eo Tenebrae obumbratio (Shadows wrapped in darkness), are closing in on Sara who is yet to unleash her light energy and is unprotected.

The Elder also tells him that Ronin must do everything in his power to make Lillian remember and Sara to become a Child of Light because both are in danger and both are unaware of the situation. Before Nicole takes the Elder back to his chambers, he utters one last thing to Ronin, “pro scientiae sapientiam”. Ronin is left to wonder what Elder Theokritos had said and everything else he hah told the Guardian.

When Nicole came back, Ronin asked her what the Elder had said to him, “He said you should seek wisdom in the Circle records vault down in the bottom level”. Ronin took this message and headed down to the spiral staircase to the cave like basement under the Circle building. The Guardian walked up to the wooded desk where a hooded figure sat pouring over different books and scrolls. He had not seen Avitus, the Elder bookkeeper, in many years not since his Guardian training days.

“Greetings Avitus, Elder Theokritos sent me to require a scroll on the subject of rebirth”, Avitus moves from his desk and disappeared into the rows of bookcases filled from floor to ceiling of knowledge passed down from Elder to Elder. Avitus returned with a scroll, the page kept in tack even after all these years.

The title, Ignis ex sola nasci, translated thanks to Avitus means only those born of fire shall be born again. Images on the scroll depict a tale of the only recorded history of resurrection. Avitus reads the words to Ronin, a Guardian pair bonded as soul mates, when one dies with fire inside and the other darkness said soul mates bond will rebirth when The Darkness shall appear.

Ronin did not quite understand the meaning but he knows that Lillian being alive and him running into her was not by chance, greater unknown things were at work here. Ronin questioned more but the scroll tells no more information and Avitus could not shed light on the subject either. Having got some of his questions answered Ronin was ready to head back to New Haven and check in with James on his progress.

He had just reached the magic ward, spotting Pyrros on the other side, when his view started to shift everything around him came out of focus and he crashed to the ground. Ronin was fully aware of what was going on around him, he could hear Pyrros shouting his name but he could not respond no matter how many times he tried.

His eyesight went black, then images flashed by him quickly, James and Sara are together running from something, no running from demons he could see them come into view. He was hit with an overwhelming sense of danger and fear, next scene flips to Lillian’s house, and it is up in flames demons circling it. Lillian is there along with James and Sara; both girls are scared and are in trouble and no Guardian help in sight. Ronin tried to call out to them warn them of the danger that lurked outside.

All of a sudden, Ronin gasped and shot up from where he had fallen to the ground. Pyrros was staring at him a worried look in his eyes. “I am okay, just a vision but the others are in danger”, as he spoke Ronin reached for his phone in his pocket and dialed James number but there was no answer, two more tries and nothing.

Ronin had to get there in time but can’t drive it’s too far away, “Us one of my portals it will get you there quicker”, Ronin nodded as Pyrros flicked his fingers, “Ercasis Arachnetus!”, the fire demon called out, flames danced between them then a portal of flames opened and Ronin jumped in.