1•Early Mornings

I groaned, throwing my plain, navy blue backpack over my shoulder as Lori pulled up in front of Westmont High school at 6:25 am. I slammed my head against the back of the car headrest, trying to think of any excuse for me not to go inside.

"You'd better get going. Don't wanna be late." Lori said impishly.

"But Lori, I'm feeling awful. I'm pretty sure that the burrito I had yesterday with the suspicious beans was tainted with some horrible, rare bacteria and I'm just now feeling the side effects. You wouldn't want that for me, would you?" I gave her my best pained expression, my wavy brown hair accidentally flopping in my face.

Lori gave me the look. All parents/good teachers/figures of authority have one. "Eleanor. All Blythe women are strong and independent. We're not letting a burrito ruin your day. Now get inside." She turned, her cornflower blue eyes turning steely as she stared me down.

"Oh trust me, I won't be late. Ive got an hour and a half till school starts." I say sarcastically, rolling my neck to look at my grandma. Her harsh look turns to a pleading smile and of course I can't resist it.

I run my hand over my face before sighing heavily. My grandmothers smile widens at my white flag of surrender.

"Bye sweetie! I love you!" she calls out to me as I slump out of the car and into the cool morning air.

All I know is this is going to be the most awkward and horrible thing. Firstly, I'm not a morning person. And secondly, I'm a junior starting her first day of marching band. My old school in Albuquerque didn't offer it, but here in Westmont it's a requirement. I love my music too much to give band up, so it's hi ho off to marching band I go-much to Lori's delight. Back in her day, she was in the color guard for some dci group-the Blue Knights? I've heard the stories about how she met my grandfather, the drum major for Madison Scouts or something, on the road. Unfortunately, I've sort of tuned her out. A lot.

The school doors appear in front of me and I open them, the air conditioning hitting my face. The doors open up to a foyer at the front of the school. I'm 100% clueless as to where I'm suppose to go. I never got a tour or map or anything, but i concluded that the band room was down the hall with the only light on and where distant instrument warm ups and tuning were heard.

It was only 6:30 by the time I had trudged to the band room. I stood awkwardly by my locker, which I had only discovered because of the sharpie name written on it, waiting to pull out the marching euphonium the school was lending me. Lori had wanted me to join color guard, but I had stoppered that faster than the end of Halloween marketing.

A boy with greasy blonde hair stepped next to me. He was tall with gangly arms and gangly legs with a long, lanky smile.

"Helloooooooooooooooo Eleanor! Welcome to the Westmont High School Marching Crimson and Cream Baritone section. My name is Daniel. And this," He extended a long arm out to the rest of the band room, "is your new family!".

I couldn't tell if the kid was serious.

"Thanks." Oops. I sounded completely disinterested in anything the poor kid had to say.

He smiled a wide grin and motioned to my euphonium.

"I'm the section leader. I'll be helping you catch up on all the music and drill you missed." He said this all in an earnest, nasally tone.

I tried contain a groan but I don't think it worked. If this one kid was so obnoxious, I could only imagine what the rest might be like.