Chapter 5

The course started within the compound and Alli immediately claimed the lead. For as long as they were inside. It was open road as soon as they left and that was when Alex let it rip.

He flew past her and Alli gunned her engine trying to gain ground. She was closing in fast and she thought for a brief moment that she could maybe pass him when he finally opened his throttle and the little ground she’d gained vanished.

She wasn’t going to let that bother her though. She increased her speed again, once more catching up to him. But, paranoid that something was behind her, looked in her mirrors to check. And there, closing in fast were the same Yamahas from before.

“Shit,” she cursed.

Clearly, she had gotten lucky earlier. They evidently wanted her. And she made the choice to let them have her. It was either her or Alex and somehow, Alex had already come to mean something to her.

Alli took a deep breath before she let her speed drop significantly. In less than ten seconds they’d be on her. Ten, nine, eight…

Alex checked his mirrors to determine how much ground Alli had gained and noticed that she was way too far behind. Then he saw the other bikes.

Instantly, Alex swung around in an arc and headed back for her. He put up a shield around and the oncoming bikes swerved by an unseen force. The same force which propelled them towards Alex whether they wanted to or not.

Alex stopped and dismounted at least ten meters from where Alli had stopped. He pulled off his helmet and threw out his hands at the first bike that reached him. It was a move straight out of ‘The Covenant’. The bike froze and was thrown over Alex’s head where it crashed to the blacktop.

The other riders dismounted also and two came after Alex while the other decided he still wanted Alli.

They were Daimons. It was obvious to Alex even without the fact that the one he had thrown was coming towards him with a slight limp. A crash like that would have killed a human. So, he fought without restraint.

Alli was stunned. She had forgotten about Alex. She shouldn’t have but he was so normal, she never gave a thought about his powers. She had only a few minutes to admire the way he fought when she saw the other Daimons headed for her. They’d discarded their helmets and were coming towards her with determined faces and ground eating strides.

She got off her own bike and pulled off her helmet as well. She wasn’t going down without a fight.

The first grabbed her arm and she hit him on the side of his head with her helmet. Dazed, his hold on her slackened. She twisted away from him only to be grabbed by his companion.

She struggled to no avail. He delivered a solid blow to the back of her neck, rendering her temporarily senseless. The other, as revenge, kicked her in the ribs.

She grunted in pain. “That’s the best you can do?” she said breathlessly. “Beat up on a human girl? Pathetic.”

“That’s it bitch. You asked for it.”

Alli knew that one of her ribs were broken because she’d broken one already and it hurt the same way.

“You want her?” one of the Daimons asked.

“Sure,” the one who held her answered. Then his grip on her changed. He released her hands to grab her neck. Soon her vision began to darken. As she began to fade, the Daimon drew her against his chest and poised his mouth over her throat.

She had one thought: Alex.

And then she was engulfed by darkness.

Hearing his name called faintly, Alex turned just in time to see the Daimon sink his fangs into Alli’s neck.