Chapter 3

Alli had no idea where the others had disappeared to and honestly, she didn’t care. Why should she? All they’d ever done was break her heart.

Alex, Dimitri, Bob and the Allieys sat at a picnic table under a tent while they ate. They were sometimes interrupted by a fan wanting an autograph from either Alex or Alli then requesting both.

But honestly, Alli hadn’t had so much fun in so long. It felt great to just hang out with her friends and a couple of guys. She’d forgotten how great it was.

Alex sat next to her and she felt his presence like a separate entity. It all but consumed her. It was hard to be aware of anything else.

“I can’t believe that you almost kissed him.”

“Am I being told off or congratulated?” Alli asked her best friend.

Allie thought for a moment. “Both,” she finally decided.

Alli laughed. “I don’t get the told off part though.”

“That’s like kissing the enemy.”

Alli narrowed her eyes. “Says the person who kissed his god brother. The same god brother whom you’ve betted against.”

“Different scenario altogether. Why on earth would you kiss him?”

Alli was aware that the guys were listening intently. She leaned forward on the table as if to convey some great secret.

“Why else would you kiss someone, ’cept if you like them? Plus, if I kissed him, I’d have psyched him out. He’d have to lose to me.”

“Oh yeah?” Alex challenged.

Alli smiled and placed her hand atop his on the table. Very gently, she stroked a finger across his knuckles.

Alex visibly gulped. “Moving on.”

The six of them laughed.

The feeling of familiarity felt good. It was as though they’d all known each other for ages.

What is your deal?

Alex looked at his god brother. ’Bout what?

Alli?

Alex gave the mental equivalent of a shrug. She’s just so…

Dimitri smirked.

Idiot. You’re the one with his hands all over the best friend.

I’m not the only one.

Reminded of that, Alex looked over at Bob. Who had his arm around Ally’s shoulders.

Damn, apparently he was the only one who’d been slighted.

No, not slighted. He’d met her, held her, laughed with her, seen her face alight with joy. No. He hadn’t been slighted in the least.

Alex glanced at her hand still resting on his. He was amazed that just that little touch could have spiked his pulse and set him on fire for her. How he longed to just taste her once.

Unable to stand it, he leaned down to speak into her ear.

“Wanna ditch ’em?” he breathed in her ear.

His hot breath tickled her and all she wanted was to scream ‘YES!’ to his request.

“Sure.”

Alex flipped his hand under hers to hold it and together they rose from the table.

“Where’re you going?”