Chapter 4

“Are you okay Alex?” Soteria Parthenopaeus asked her son.

Alex sighed. Really, he loved his mom but someday she’d have to learn that he wasn’t six years old anymore.

“I’m fine mom,” he answered.

His dad on the other hand went straight to the point. “Why’d you drop your shield?”

“Dad, do you not see the really hot girl behind me? I couldn’t have attacked the Daimons full on could I? She’d have thought that I was psycho. I needed them to attack first. But I needed them to attack to kill not attack to feed.  I have to say I hate the Daimons who’ve fed of the Gallu. They seriously suck ass.”

Acheron concurred with his son’s statement. Ever since Stryker’s wife, Zephrya, had introduced drinking Gallu blood to the Daimons, they’d been walking in the day and causing a hell of a lot of problems for him and the rest of the Dark-Hunters.

“How are you holding up Alli?” Tory asked.

Alli looked at Alex’s mother. So this was the famous Soteria Kafieri. She wasn’t what Alli had expected. She’s seen pictures of Dr. Kafieri online, at dig sites and at ruin all over the world dated a few years back. Yet, she still looked the same.

“I…I’m fine. I think. Once I get over the shock and disbelief, everything will sink in and then I’ll always be paranoid. But no biggie.” She shrugged nonchalantly.

Ash chuckled. “I like you. You have a sense of humour. It’s nice.”

 “Well, what am I supposed to do? Go screaming about hysterically? That’ll help the situation,” she said dryly.

“Sarcasm,” Tory noted. “She’s fits in perfectly.”

“I know.” Ash wiped a fake tear from his eye.

Alli turned to Alex and raised an eyebrow. He just shrugged.

“She seems to be holding out fine, given the circumstances,” Ash said as he studied her.

Alli regarded him just as coolly. Well at least she thought so. She could definitely see where Alex got most of his looks. There was something about Acheron that just made her want to reach out and touch him yet, there was the presence of a threat. Somehow, she knew that it was not the smartest thing to do.

And yet, he looked no more than twenty one. Alex was eighteen so he had to be older.

“Curiousity never hurt anyone. Ask what you want to ask Alli.”

“Uh…I should get used to that shouldn’t I?” she asked.

Acheron smiled. “Probably. Yes Alli, I’m older than twenty one.  I’m eleven thousand, five hundred something.”

Alli could have sworn her jaw hit the ground.

Alex laughed at her expression.

“You’re serious?” she asked, her eyes still wide.

Ash nodded. “Dead serious.”

Alli nodded. She turned to Alex’s mom. “You’re not over a century old are you?”

Soteria laughed. “No. I was born in this age. I’ve got a couple of decades yet before I cross a century.”

“I think I have a migraine,” Alli groaned putting her fingers to her temple.

Alex put an arm around her shoulders. “Don’t worry. You’ll get used to it in time. I hope.”

“I honestly don’t think I have a choice in the matter. I either get used to it or end up insane for the rest of my life.”