Chapter 9

My insides raged and I gritted my teeth hard, asking, "Where the fuck are you?"

Cason laughed and I clenched my fist and surprisingly, he told me the name of the bar the group of high school friends met up at.

I had never done something so ridiculous in my life but for the second time today, I got an Uber and pathetically transported my sorry ass to the bar Xander was busy getting wasted at.

I stormed through the front door and it slammed against the wall before I made my way to the back of the bar where I figured they'd be huddled around a pool table.

I froze in my tracks upon resting my eyes on Cason, whose arm was slung across the shoulders of my boyfriend and had a lazy grin spread on his face. Xander leaned into the infuriating boy, hopelessly trying to stay upright as Cason's light blue eyes slowly trailed up to meet mine.

His grin widened once he discovered my presence and I pursed my lips with force before I rushed over and pulled Xander's arm to me.

Cason released him and he sagged into my chest as he dangled his arms behind my shoulders. I struggled to support his weight and Cason watched with an amused expression.

Xander hadn't looked up since I arrived and softly whispered in my ear.

"Jasper."

I bit my lip and maneuvered his body so that he was at my side and I put his arm across my shoulder.

"Let's go," I told him as my eye caught a familiar face.

Rocco, my partner from the pool game, made his way over and frowned.

"Sorry he got so drunk," Rocco said as he placed a hand behind his neck. "I told him he should stop but that idiot," he said as he hooked a thumb at Cason, "kept buying him drinks."

"Shit," I said as Xander remained silent. "Thanks for trying."

Then, turning my attention to Cason, I narrowed my eyes in a glare I had never felt myself give to anyone before.

"Fuck you," I growled. "You should be taking care of him, not allowing him to become this way."

"He's an adult," Cason replied, crossing his arms across his chest. "He should know his limit."

I shook my head in anger and refused to speak or look at Cason any longer than I had to. As I turned to leave with Xander, I felt my arm tugged from behind. I turned my head and raised an eyebrow at Rocco who released me.

"Do you need a ride?" he asked and then quickly added, "Don't worry, I didn't drink."

I gratefully accepted the offer so that I wouldn't have to pay for another Uber and decided I should really invest in getting my car fixed.

I heaved Xander into the back seat before I slid in next to him and he rested his head on my shoulder. I ran my fingers through his hair and he sighed.

Rocco drove silently and I placed my hand on the back of his seat when we arrived back to my dorm, giving my thanks for the generous ride he gave us. He simply nodded and smiled before he drove off.

With difficulty, I dragged Xander into my room and basically threw him on my bed. I grabbed a plastic bag in case he was going to vomit and placed it by my bedside. Drey jumped up, his eyes wide, as he looked over at Xander.

"What's he doing here?" he asked as I breathed out.

"Look at him," I said. "He's piss drunk right now."

I knew he shouldn't go back to his home and allow Hadlee to see him in the condition he was in so I walked over to my bed, searching for Xander's phone. I spotted it in his pocket and I reached down, my fingers grazing the top of his phone.

Suddenly his hand found my own and I jumped, pulling it away.

"What're you doing?" he asked, his eyes slowly opening.

"I'm calling Paisley," I told him, holding out his phone.

"Why?" he frowned.

"To tell her you're not coming back tonight," I replied. "Now hurry up."

He slowly pushed himself up and dig out his phone, lazily placing it into my hand. Though, soon after, his cheeks bulged and he looked as if he was about to vomit. I quickly grabbed the bag and shoved it at him before he spewed into it.

"Shit," I said, turning away.

"Ewww," Drey groaned.

Xander hung his head after he finished and I took the bag, throwing it into the trash can out in the hallway. He laid back down and I scrolled through his phone, attempting to find Paisley's contact.

I found it easily and pressed on it.

"Xander?" she asked. "Where are you?"

I sighed. "It's Jasper."

"What?" she asked.

"I'm just calling to let you know that he's staying with me tonight," I told her.

"Don't tell me he's wasted right now," Paisley said.

"He's not," I lied. "We have to study for our exam in the morning. And we haven't started."

"Exammm?" Xander asked and I waved my hand, trying to hush him.

Drey jumped up, realizing my situation and softly placed his hand over Xander's lips and whispered, "Shhh."

Paisley cursed before she hung up the phone without saying anything else.

"Sorry you have to deal with this, too," I told Drey as I pushed Xander over and jumped into my bed.

"Don't worry about it, Jasp," Drey said as he climbed back into his bed. "As long as you two don't get all freaky on me."

I laughed. "Don't worry, we won't."

As soon as I laid down, Xander turned toward me and wrapped his arm across my chest and snuggled in close to me.

I looked up at the ceiling in the dark and cursed Cason for the way he treated Xander. I worried about him too. Cason, that is.

What if he was interested in Xander?

But as soon as I had these thoughts, Xander shifted closer once more and whispered softly in my ear.

"I love you."

———
Hi, lemme know what you think (: