Chapter 16

I glanced down at Hadlee and then back up at my father as I realized I hadn't yet introduced the small child holding my hand.

"No," I told him as I led them into my house. "She's Xander's."

My father plopped down on the couch while Xander, Hadlee and I shared the one across from him. My father looked over at Xander and he calmly brought his eyes to meet my father's.

"She is?" my father asked.

"Yeah," Xander replied as Hadlee climbed onto his lap. "Her name is Hadlee."

He didn't explain any further than her name and my father glanced over at Hadlee, giving her a little smile.

"She's adorable," my dad said, smiling.

Xander tickled his daughter's stomach and she giggled in his arms. "Thank you."

"I hope Jasper is being a good role model," my father said and I laughed.

"He'll be a great father someday," Xander assured him as I smiled.

We conversed for a little while longer and soon enough, it was time to head back. I had to catch up on assignments anyway and Drey had to reteach me all of the material from the lectures I hadn't listened to.

I suggested that Xander and Hadlee go out to Xander's car first so that I could say goodbye to my father for a minute.

Once the two were out of sight, my father turned to me and asked, "Is he a responsible kid?"

"Yeah," I said. "He does well in school and is always there for his daughter."

"Is that so?" my father asked. "He seems like a good kid."

"Mhm," I agreed.

"I'm happy for you," he said. "Really."

"Thank you," I replied and grinned. "It means a lot."

He smiled back at me and we shared a brief hug before I walked out of the door. Once I slipped into the passenger seat, Xander sped out of my driveway and we headed back to campus.

"Your father was more accepting that I expected he'd be," Xander said to me.

"I guess," I said and shrugged. "I figured it'd be okay since I already came out to him. And he asked what he could do to support me."

"And? What'd you tell him?" Xander asked.

"I just told him to be there for us. For me and you," I replied.

Xander lifted his lips in a smile as he continued to drive.

"Awesome," Xander said. "I finally have a dad."

I leaned over and placed my hand on his as he currently drove with one hand.

"Yeah," I said. "I hope so."

"What do you mean?" he asked.

"He's trying for be a father right now," I said. "But he hasn't always been this way. He's slowly recovering from his old ways."

"I see," Xander said. "I hope so too then."

———

I returned to my dorm later in the evening and of course, Drey was busily scribbling down notes in his notebook at his desk.

"Is this correct?" I heard a voice say that didn't belong to Drey. In fact, it didn't even belong to a guy.

I whipped my head around and spotted the girl I had met once before sitting beside Drey at his desk. Her hair was pulled back in a ponytail and she wore glasses, pointing down to her notebook.

Drey looked over and turned her work to him as he glanced over it. Shooting her a wide smile, he held up his thumb and said, "Good job!"

I laughed. "Where's this enthusiasm when you tutor me, huh?"

Drey spun around, his eyes wide.

"When did you get here?" he asked.

"I just did," I told him. "Did you not hear me?"

"No," he replied.

"You're too busy focusing on someone else," I said and grinned.

"I must be," he said and grinned back at me. "Are you going to join us?"

"In a minute," I replied. "I need help with a different subject anyway."

"Okay," Drey said and turned back to May.

I also hadn't wanted to interrupt their study time either so I declined the invitation even though I desperately needed the help.

I looked down at my phone as I plopped down on my bed, planning to head over to the library. I had to give my roommate his space after all.

Glancing down, I realized I had a missed call from Hayden. I clicked on his name and called him back. The phone rang a few times and he finally picked up.

"Hey, Jasper," Hayden said into the phone.

"Hey," I said. "What's up?"

"Nothing really. I was wondering if you wanted to study for Biomechanics with me," Hayden replied.

I sat up in my bed. "I was just about to head to the library to study," I told him. "You're free to join me."

Hayden laughed even though I hadn't said anything funny. "Okay," he said. "I'll be there in twenty minutes."

"Alright," I said, hopping off of my bed. "I'll see you soon."

Drey turned around as I grabbed my backpack and raised an eyebrow.

"Where are you going?" Drey asked. "I know you need help with Biomechanics."

"I'm going to the library," I told him. "Hayden and I are going to try to figure some things out."

"Good luck with that," Drey replied. "The material is difficult."

"Yeah, yeah," I said and looked over at May. "Good luck you two."

They both said their thanks before I walked out of the door. The walk to the library took around five minutes and when I got there, there was no sign of Hayden. I placed my backpack down and then slowly let my head meet the table where I closed my eyes as I always did upon arriving early.

Minutes later, I heard the chair across from me being pulled back and I lifted my head. Hayden took a seat and smiled warmly at me as I returned one of my own before he spoke.

"Good to see you."

———
Hi, thank you for reading (: