twelve

A/N: this chapter kinda long sorry

dear diary,

nothing makes me feel like nicholas mara makes me feel. it's terrifying. is it love? how will i know?

sincerely, sage.

the girl's diary entry seemed simple this day. it was less focused on sex and more focused on her feelings, specifically her feeling towards nick.

it was short and simple. it seemed like the diary entry was nothing; like it was just her confessing her little teenage crush.

it was more than that. it was the last time she'd be uncertain of her love for nick, and the reason for the first time he'd questioned his love for her in a while. it was important, and it was stupid. and it would soon leave sage to regret everything she'd done.

she sighed, putting the pen down, closing her diary and pushing herself off of the bed to put it away.

it was the day of brandon's birthday party and she was sad to say that nick would not be joining her.

he'd actually missed two days of school that week due to food poisoning, and though he hadn't been throwing up today, he was still really exhausted and weak, and he was too ill to go to his friend's party.

he was bummed, no doubt, but nick had been there for brandon since day one, and brandon knew that nick would never choose to miss his birhday party. it wasn't a big deal anyway, there would be some sort of party in an upcoming week and he wasn't really missing anything monumental.

she grabbed her keys and headed out the door to go so see him, but not before giving her mom a hug and kiss.

"hello." nick answered his phone call from sage, sounding as tired as ever.

"hey i'm getting gas right now, but do you want anything to drink or a snack or something?" she asked as she got out of the car, heading into the gas station to pay.

"no, thank you. if i even hear the word food again i might puke."

"baby you need to eat something." she spoke softly, grabbing some snacks and tea for him anyway.

"no." he said stubbornly, making her pout slightly.

"nick. you are eating food, whether you like it or not."

"sage. try to feed me food and i'll ban you from my house." he said in the same tone as her, just to mock her and piss her off.

"you're annoying, and i'm buying you tea."

"sage, i already told you i'm not drinking that dirty grainy ass-"

"nicholas, please. you're being so difficult." sage pleaded with the boy, making him sigh and give in.

"fine. one cup. also my mom is here, so you're bout to meet her. sorry i didn't tell you. i thought she wasn't getting back until tomorrow."

the girl's heartbeat quickened as she thought about meeting his mom.

yes, he had met hers far earlier, but in all honesty meeting her parents wasn't the big deal. coming to her house was, and not because of them, but because of sage herself. she just liked her privacy, and inviting someone into her home to invade it was a milestone.

though meeting her parents wasn't a big event for her, nick had spoken to her about how important his mother was to him.

honestly, had she not come home early today, she still wouldn't be meeting sage, but he didn't seem to mind. he loved sage, whether he had admitted it or not, and he was sure that his mother would love her as well.