Chapters 1-3

Chapter 1

Twenty years ago, in a city called Chicago, a girl named Tris inspired us. Having grown up and fought in a world like ours, she was a role model. Her city were divided into five factions, each devoted to a different value; honesty, kindness, intelligence, selflessness and bravery. These factions were set up by a group of people who wanted to experiment with human genetics, but they sacrificed many lives in the process. Tris started a rebellion and brought peace to her city, but died in the process. Five years later, the government decided that they would create long lasting peace. They destroyed the experiments and grouped us into districts instead. Each district was told to supply a certain resource to the Capitol, and in return, they would receive protection. The peace was upheld for fifteen years, up until recently, when no one could hold back anymore. 

There was yet another rebellion, which we call the Dark Days. The Capitol won the battle and decided to punish the districts. District Thirteen was blown up. The Capitol announced that on July 31st, they would broadcast the official sentence of punishment. 

It’s night time on July 30th when my family and I sit around the dinner table, a stack of wooden boxes. Dinners in District Twelve are small and come in meagre amounts, but the Capitol have been harsh on us peasants since the Dark Days. On my plate sits a small portion of squirrel meat. Though poaching is illegal, we have a gang of hunters in the district who help the poorest families, like my own. This particular squirrel was caught by my uncle, Jack Everdeen. His weapon skills are said to be a genetic alteration from the days of the experiments.

Chapter 2

The sun almost blinds me when I open my eyes on the morning of July 31st. I jump out of bed and rush to the table where my family are already gathered. The television is switched on and President Elm is featured on the screen.

“Today marks an important day in history. The beginning of a new era. My colleagues and I have decided that from this year onwards, there shall be an annual Hunger Games!” he declares.

My family and I exchange glances. We don’t know what this is, but it doesn’t sound good.

“Each district shall give up a male and a female child of ages twelve to eighteen. They shall be decided in a public reaping. These children shall compete in an arena, where they will fight to the death. Anyone who tries to stop the Games will be punished.”

My heart stops. I am fourteen. I could be chosen. So could my older brother, Harry. He was recently employed by some science experiment company to build a maze. They call him Thomas there, like the really old scientist, Thomas Edison. I would hate for him to get chosen. He is needed everywhere; in the family, at the WICKED science organisation and as a hunter in District Twelve.

“NO!” screeches my mother. She tugs at her hair and stamps her feet.

My father sits in silence, his head buried in his hands.

“This does it. I don’t agree with this punishment. We didn’t even start the Dark Days!” Harry yells at the television. He storms out of the house, but doesn’t slam the door, as it’s on the verge of collapse.

Chapter 3

When Harry doesn’t come back the next morning, my fear turns to extreme panic. I stare at his empty chair while I eat Katniss tubers for breakfast.

The television flashes on, signalling a mandatory broadcast. The alert tone rings through the house, so my parents dash into the room, keen for some news.

The Capitol’s anthem plays and some words flash on to the screen.

Thinking of defying the Capitol? Think again.

A face flashes on the screen. I leap in horror when I see it. I see the face that I look at across from the table each day. The face that smiled for me in rough times. The face of the person that brought food to the family.

Harry Everdeen. The boy who dared to stand up to us. Fortune does not favour the brave in these times. This boy attempted to murder innocent Peacekeepers and stop the Hunger Games. 

“Not Harry! He wouldn’t dare do such a thing!!!” my father shouts at the television.

He will pay. He has been sent off to the WICKED trials as punishment. His memory will be wiped. He will not be lucky enough to compete in the Hunger Games, where there is a chance of glory. 

I feel a tear roll down my cheek. My brother, who I have known since birth, will have no memory of me, no recollection of his life, and he will have a terribly slight chance of escaping.

Harry had been telling me about the WICKED trials. The Maze sounds horrible, it’s filled with Grievers, these horrible monsters. If he gets out, he will be sent to a town struggling with the Flare. The Flare is a sickness that has been spreading over the country, but is worst in the place where the escapees of the Maze are sent. If he survives, he could be killed. He never ended up telling me about the rest of the trials, but I don’t care, I just want to see him, say one last goodbye.