Boot Camp [9]

Ryan Brooks

"Daniels! Brooks! Moore! Stop right there!" It was Sean. And we were in deep shit.

Lanie was falling behind, her breaths short and ragged and each time a glanced back she seemed to be getting farther and farther back. Fuck.

Cal had to be ten feet ahead of me. He never looked back at us, never looked back to see if Lanie was there with him. He didn't give a shit. He was saving his own ass and didn't care if Lane and I were left to be fed to the dogs.

"Jesus Christ," Lane huffed. I looked back to see her clutching at her ribs. She was slowing down again.

"Stay with me Lane," I called at her.

"I'm trying, damn it, but you know I was never known for my athletic abilities, Ry." And then she shrieked. Something wizzed passed our shoulders and landed somewhere in the leaves at our feet. Another, the wind whistling as it shot through the air. Lane stopped running, fell into the leaves on her hands and knees. "Fuck."

I skidded to a stop and turned to see her pulling a dart out of her calf. Her eyes began to droop closed. Tranquilizer darts, holy fuck. "Come on Lane, keep your eyes open for me," I tell her as I pick her up and sling her over my shoulders.

"Come on Brooks, give up already!" Sean was getting closer. Lane's extra weight on my back was slowing. Me down. Cal was already so far ahead that I could barely see him anymore. Lane and I were done for.

I pushed my legs harder, willed myself to keep going. Fight the exhaustion that was biting at my brain. Do it for Lane. You owe it to her. Something bit the small of my back. Exhaustion hit me even harder and my legs felt as if they'd turned to jelly.

I fell. Lane rolled off to the side, her eyes shut and breathing even. I reached behind me, pulling the dart from my skin. I cursed and landed sluggishly on my side in the dead leaves. So tired. So, so tired.

Foot steps, hard breathing. "You all catch up to Moore. I've got these ones."

^^^vvv^^^vvv^^^

When I regained consciousness, I shot up like a bullet, my mind going straight to Lane. Where was she?

Then someone grabbed me by the collar and pulled me close to them. It took a moment for my eyes to focus of his face, but when they did I almost pissed my pants. "Ryan," he ground out between clenched teeth.

I let out a rough, cracking chuckle and gave him a weak smile. "Mike," I lick my lips my eyes darting around us to see if Lane was near.

"Look at me, you shithead." I turn back to Mike, Lane's older, over protective, military brother. I was dead meat.

I cleared my throat, trying to ignore the pain in my lower back and focus on Mike's face. "So, uh, it's been a while, huh?" Nervous laughter. I really need to pee.

Mike's grip on my shirt tightened and I may have let of some sort of squeaking noise and shut my eyes. Maybe. You would have too if you were on this guy's shit list. "Been awhile?" He chuckled. "Yeah, it's been quite a while, Ryan Brooks, and I've been looking forward to the day I set eyes on you again."

I let out another nervous laugh. "Aw, you missed me that much?" Fuck, Ryan, now is not the time for your shitty come backs! Mike's face got even closer to mine, our eye lashes were almost touching now.

"If I didn't know better, I'd say you're about to make out with the kid, Mike," Sean laughs, strutting into the room in regular jeans and a T-shirt. He looked to normal.