Boot Camp [ 12 ]

Ryan Brooks

Kris wakes me up by shaking me and then kicking me in the ribs. He starts walking away so I pick up one of my boots and chuck it at him. It hits his back and then falls into the dirt.

I fall back onto my blankets and sigh. Could it be possible that I dreamed all that happened last night? Did I really, finally get to kiss Lanie? I had sat outside in the sand for about an hour after Lane had left. It was strange, how we were able to sneak out of our tents and stay outside for as long as we did. I guess since the entire camp went to shit, Goodwin has lost his touch.

"Dick, if you fell back asleep, I'm going to kick you in the nuts," Kris is back, chucking the wire cutters towards me. They narrowly miss my head. Jesus Christ, Kris. "We got shit to do."

"I'm awake," I call to him and sit up, shrugging on my one boot. I go outside and pick up the boot I threw at Kris, slipping that one on my other foot, and then tie both.

After grabbing some pieces of toast for breakfast, I make my way over towards the fence where Kris had just begun working. I let my eyes wander, searching for Lane. I don't know what last night was all about, but I'd be all ears if she'd be willing to explain it to me.

I don't spot her before I hit the fence. So then I'm cutting and pulling and cutting and struggling because my mind is elsewhere and everywhere and nowhere all at once. I'm so out of focus that I end up slicing one of my fingers open. I let out a muffled curse as I bring my bleeding finger to my mouth. I drop the wire cutters to the ground and kick at the ground in frustration. I can see Kris shaking his head at me from the corner of my eye as he continues his work. 

This is so fucking frustrating. I want to be out of this place. I should be thinking of a plan to get rid of Goodwin. Sean and Mike should have come up with something. I should be by Lane. Keeping an eye on her, making sure she's alright and not too uncomfortable being back here, even though I know it's going to be rough for her. 

I stare at the wire cutters that I threw to the ground. It would be so much easier if I could just shove the damn things right into Goodwin's neck. Then Lane would be out of here, back at home where she belongs. Where she's always belonged. Then again, if I did do that, I'd end up in actual prison. For murder. Christ, why does life have to be so God damned difficult?

And then I hear it. That laugh. That gorgeous, beautiful, wonderful laugh that plays like a welcome broken record in my dreams. My Lane. I turn my head to the sound, a smile quickly making an appearance on my face. 

It's gone as soon as it happens. My brows draw together in confusion and, if I'm being honest, there's a churning in my gut that feels a lot like jealousy and, well, hurt. I'm hurt because across the yard, I see Lane. And Cal. And Lane has herself draped all over Cal and she's giving him kisses all over his face while his eyes are closed and he's laughing. What the hell is going on? Did I seriously dream up the whole thing that happened last night on the beach? Am I really that far gone? No. 

I hear Kris chuckle behind me. "Hate to say it, buddy, but I really think you've lost your shot there."

I shake my head, but say nothing. I hadn't lost my fucking shot. I know that I didn't dream last night up. It felt too fucking real for it all to be a dream. Nothing has ever felt so real in my entire life. Nothing in my life has been more real than Lane. 

Kris sighs. "Alright, man. Enough with the pity party of one. Come help me grab that section of fence so we can get through this." 

I shake my head, taking one more glance towards Lane and Cal. They're carrying dead tree limbs that must have fallen in all the fire and chaos. I walk toward the piles of sections of fence with Kris. We each take a side and lift, carrying it towards the part that we had just tore down. We drop it and I sigh, running a hand atop my head. The buzz cut that I had received upon my arrival at Goodwin's has grown out a bit, and now I can tug at some.