Chapter Three ~ A Bad Day to Go to Work

Heavy silence followed us like a shadow as we made it back to the office. Mom left me with few words of not leaving and simply vanished once more.

I didn't feel like listening to music or really doing much else so I cuddled up to the tiny couch that was in the room and attempted a nap. I may have dozed off for a bit but when I woke up I thought my alarm was going off.

I jerked awake from the sound of an extremely loud blaring alarm, and a sort of flashing from what I could see. Startled, I called out, "Mom?" Panic set in when I didn't get a reply. "Mom, where are you? Are you here? Mom?"

Instantly I was cold with paralyzing fear, lying down on the couch with a throw pillow cushioning my head. "What's happening? Mom!?"

There was no reply and I realized she couldn't be here. What was happening, though? That was one of the many questions I kept coming back to. And where was Mom? Completely freaking out, I went to the sliding door and slammed my hand against it. That only made my palms sting and a steel ring to echo.

Just to make sure, I pounded on the door in different areas and nothing special happened. I slid down it, breathing heavily, just trying to calm myself down when a male human scream erupted from the hallway with horrible sound of a quick 'snap'. Immediate silence followed from any human noise, just the.. constant, deafening siren.

My heart was pounding a mile a minute and I felt tears sliding down my face, I blinked and rubbed them away but that did nothing and I only sobbed into my knees. What was happened? I kept asking myself the same old questions and I never gave myself a reply because I simply didn't know.

I don't know how long I sat there, the concept of time really was foreign to me at that moment. Could've been five minutes, could've been five hours. I just don't know. The terrible and scary sounds continued his outside of the metal door and every time something went by, I kept asking myself, "Will it hold?" eventually, the thing would pass and I allowed myself a breath before the next thing came along.

The siren continued unabated, the sound was in my head and even if it did stop at one point, which it probably didn't, I still heard it.

Eventually, I stood. Mainly because I was getting cramps and I was thirsty. So, I went around the room with shaky limbs to see if there was anything around.

I remember one of those machines that gurgle and spit out water into a paper cup. But I don't know where the cups are. I wonder... I find the coffee table, take everything that was on it off of it- which wasn't much, thank goodness- and drag it over to the water machine. If Mom ever finds out that I climbed up on her coffee table, she'll probably ground me for two months.

I do it anyway and tap around for any paper cup feeling things. Nothing, so they might be in a cupboard but I'm scared I'll fall down from the counter and break something so I'll have to put plan B into action.

I sit on the coffee table and cup my hands, getting water and badly drinking out of them. It was hard, I'm completely wet now, but I'm not thirsty.

Now I'm just hungry and al I have is M&Ms. I'm sure... Mom has to be here soon so, I take the package and carefully open it, making sure not to spill any and take four.

Maybe I should go look for her? The idea pops into my head unwelcomed, but now that I think about it, it won't go away.

I eat two of my M&Ms and proceed to have a mental battle with myself. The noises have stopped- weird scrap, then barely audible snap, scraaaape- for the most part.

What if I get lost forever and I'll never be able to get out of this stupid maze of a building? Nah, there's always people around.

I don't even know how to open the door. I eat the last two M&Ms and head over to the door. See, look-

A tap something and I feel and hear the door whoosh open. "Oh." I gasp. Well, I mean, it's open now so...

"Hello?" My call echoes weirdly in the hallway. It smells, like pennies but worse. "Helloo?" But nothing answers me back.

I puff out my cheek and take a few steps into the not-so-outside world.