Chapter Two ~ What Was That?

Mom lets me spend a little bit going around the room and touching things before going to her desk and doing her own thing for a bit. Finally, something beeped and she spoke lowly into it. Despite my good hearing, I couldn't catch it.

"I need to go now, love." She says after she was done talking to whoever so I assume it was a coworker or her boss. "Duty calls."

I purse my lips and sigh. "And I have to stay here, don't I?"

I heard her step over to me and felt a whoosh of wind as she leaned forward to kiss my forward. "Yes, you do. I'll be back by lunch, okay? But if you get hungry I have a bag of M&Ms with your name on it." The bag of chocolatey goodness is placed in my hand and I shove it in my pocket moodily.

"Okay." I murmur. "See you later."

She sighed and the door soon opened and closed shut.

I stand in silence for a long few minutes, listening to the sounds around me. Eventually, my feet began to hurt so I wondered over to the chair behind Mom's desk.

After a few moments of that, I got bored and decided to wonder around the room some more. I found a radio on a low shelf and I smiled to myself, plucking it down.

With that, I carried it back to the desk and put it down, fiddling with nobs and switches before static filled the room.

I give a little 'ah-ha!' at my achievement and began switching through the stations until I found one with music I liked.

With that, I leaned back and hummed along with it.

I spent what probably was hours like that, blobbing my head and singing along to songs I knew when the door opened and I literally jumped out of the chair and fell onto my butt in complete surprise.

"Oh! Love, are you okay?" Mom's familiar voice rang out with an apology. "I'm sorry, are you hurt?"

"I'm okay!" I said with a laugh. "Is it lunch time? I'm starving."

"Yep, come on. We'll go to the canteen." I slowly wondered over to her and she took my hand and back through the halls we went.

"I found your radio." I said some time later. "I hope that's okay."

"Of course, love, I should've brought that down for you myself."

I smiled and we both got wrapped up in a happy silence. Soon enough, we entered a place that was truly loud. If I went to school, this is what it probably would've sounded like. I cringed and scooted closer to Mom.

"We'll go eat into office, love, hold out for a moment." She said softly to me and we walked into it. Mom had to keep me close because I would've crashed and banged into everyone. People kept asking questions about me too, which made me incredibly uncomfortable but soon we got our lunch and made our way back towards the office.

I had lasagna and potato salad with an orange which wasn't too bad. I had water to drink instead of juice or something but, not too shabby.

"I've got another surprise for you, love." Mom said after we were done and she got back from taking the plates back.

I perk up instantly. "What? Do I get my very own cat? Maybe a dog?"

"No..." She said slowly with amusement. "Would you like to come with me this time? I managed to convince the head scientist."

"Can I?" I jumped at the opportunity immediately, clapping my hands together. "Can I, can I, can I?"

"Yes, yes, yes!" Mom laughed lightly and once again took my hand. "But," She started as we went back down the hallway, "you have to stay still and don't ask too many questions, please?"

"Okay..." I agree, only slightly disappointed. I still got to go! That was awesome!

It was a while still before I got to the place Mom was going with me in tow and I was getting really tired of all this walking. I showed this by shuffling my steps.

Mom chuckled and pulled me along all while simply saying, "Almost there love, almost there."

You sighed lowly followed by a groan and shuffled on.

After years of walking more and a sliding door opened up and a burst of conversation suddenly went quiet. I saddled close up to Mom, and waved at random. "Hi." I squeaked, mentally slapping myself for doing so.

Murmuring followed after my rather pathetic greeting. Mom cleared her throat loudly and sort of forced me inside. "What's going on? Is the D-Class here yet?"

"No, uh, no doctor not yet." A female off somewhere in the room answered.

"What's going on with SCP-096?" She fired again, showing me to a chair and patting the seat for me to sit down on. Then she patted my head and left with a swish, causing air to tickle my face.

"Nothing new." A male replied.

I stayed quiet with fresh questions circling my brain as they continued to chat about a 'D-Class' and something called 'SCP-096'. What did that mean? Is that what Mom studied? I didn't dare ask any questions though, I was a bit intimidated.

Soon after arriving the door opened and everyone quieted again and messed around the room. Mom spoke up, "Now, just go in there and don't look at it. Unless of course," I didn't catch the rest but figured it couldn't be good.

"Mom?" I piped up then, pushing aside my general fear. "What's happening?"

"The man is going inside to say hello to 096." Mom answered me sweetly, too sweetly like she was talking to a six year old.

"Who's 096?" I ask, almost challengingly.

She hesitated long enough to make me question her reply, "A dangerous... creature we're trying to understand."

I tried my best to give her a strange look and said nothing more, looking away from her without seeing.

After a few moments of boring science-y talk a horrible, terrible scream sounded somewhere inside the room and I was so sure something was inside with us until I realized there was no other screaming. When the long, terrible howl was finished something began crying. It wasn't human, exactly, but it was filled with so much sadness I was about to follow it.

"Mom?" I ask with a voice full of panic. "Mom, what is that?"

"Nothing, nothing." Mom says with what sounded like disappointment. She gently took my hand and I stood up. "You don't want to be here for this, it's time for you to go, love."

"Mom?"

I was ignored as we silently made our way back through the complete maze of this massive building. My ears rang with the horrible sound I had just heard and I was suddenly, and uncomfortably, aware that I was glad to be blind for once.