Chapter Twelve

(Juliet's POV)

Vince was way past pissed.

"What was that about?" Ottavio asked, concerned.

"Thanks to your f*cking antics and keeping me holed up here, the safe house was just attacked and my men are dying."

"Wha-"

"Don't say a g**damn word and hand over your keys." Vince growled.

Ottavio got Vince the keys to his SUV.

"All you have is one gun. You're really going to save your men that way? You can't protect your wife and save your men at the same time."

Ottavio was trying to get Vince to ask for help. Vince wouldn't budge though.

"Watch me." Vince growled.

We climbed into the SUV and took off.

On the way there, I noticed something. Vince had blood on his shirt.

"One of your wounds opened up." I said.

"It's fine."

"Vince,"

"Tesoro, not now. I'm fine."

He was not fine. He was rattled. He kept getting blindsided.

Russo opening fire during their meeting. His grandfather and family being alive. His brother making an appearance. The safe house being attacked.

He wouldn't admit it, but he was rattled and he was reaching his breaking point.

"What can I do to help you?" I asked, as he stopped the car. We were about a mile from the safe house.

He said nothing as he got out, came around, and opened my door. Once I was out of the car, he moved so that I was pinned against the door.

He cupped my face in his hands as we listening to the gunshots going off.

"Don't die. Don't get hurt. You hear me?"

I nodded. "I promise."

That's when he handed me the gun.

"We prepared for something like this so remember what I taught you."

"Stay low. Go fast. Kill first. Die last. One shot. One kill. Not luck. All skill." I recited to him.

He placed a hard and bruising kiss on my lips.

"If I take this then you don't have a weapon."

"I'll be fine, Moglie. I swear it."

"Okay."

"I'm sorry that I might break my promise to you."

"Promise?"

"That you'd never have to pull a trigger. That I'll always pull the trigger for you. You might have to pull it tonight."

I shook my head. "The only promise that matters is the one you made to me about being safe. Beside, I know that you'll always be my monster. My personal Devil."