3.

Autumn had come with regal ease. The tumbled leaves were a garland of reds and gold and the trees waved in the southerly wind. Finn was near the church when he saw his wife getting inside. He’d already dropped his motorcycle near the woods along the road that would lead them to the next town.

Before leaving, he had gone on his knees and prayed. The staining light of the autumn moon created a dome of soft glow above the trees with a few rays reaching the soft chocolaty browns of the ground. He consulted God one more time before sending his message to the people in a different way. His sermons didn’t change their way of living, neither did the leaflets he printed with the earnings he made. Church members had become devotees of fashion, joining hands with the ungodly in parties of pleasure, in dancing and festivities. With their worldly hopes and ambitions that filled their hearts, the love for God and faith in His Word had grown cold.

Finn fervently asked God to enlighten his mind and that of Lily’s on the exact message they would leave for them. He asked God to shine His glorious light on the path they were heading to and to protect them. He thanked Him for everything he had and everything he was and with a whole new determination, he rose up from the ground and here he was now, at the church. Finn hurried up and got to his wife before she got inside the church. There were no guards around which made it easier for them to finish their task without distractions. God was surely paving way for them.

Once they were both inside, Finn started with the small idol at the altar. The small thing broke in half as Finn exerted pressure on in between his calloused hands. Lily went by the stained glass windows, soaked a cloth with a chemical and started wiping the windows. The images of Mary and Jesus Christ were wiped down making the figures look horrifyingly disfigured. With a spray paint, Finn wrote on the wooden altar, FLEE FROM BABYLON!

He had once preached to an eager crowd on the meaning of Babylon; “Babylon signifies confusion. It’s a word derived from Babel and we all know what happened there.” The little crowd nodded as they remembered the story in the Bible.

“Babylon is employed in the Scripture to designate the various forms of false religion. In these times, the unfaithfulness of the church to Christ in permitting her confidence and affection to be turned from Him, and allowing the love of worldly things to occupy the soul is likened to the violation of marriage vows. Can someone tell me some of the things of the world that turn us from loving God?” he engaged with his listeners.

This was an effort to keep them alert and intrigued in what he had to tell them. A teenage boy rose his arm.

“Yes?”

“Instagram. Most youths are hell bent on getting more likes, more perfect photos and they lie about where they are and who they’re with just so they could be seen as celebrities or something.” The boy said.

“True.” He smiled in approval and made a mental note to pray for the young man. He most likely needed to focus more on serving God than viewing social media sites as is the norm of all teenagers.

“Money.” An elderly woman said.

With money comes power and like they say, power corrupts all. Money is the epitome of evil. It’s the source of arrogance, ignorance and corruption.

“John Wesley once said, “Do not waste any part of so precious a talent, merely in gratifying the desire of the eye, by superfluous and expensive apparel, or by needless ornament. Waste no part of it in curiously adorning your houses; in superfluous or expensive furniture; in costly pictures, painting, gliding. Lay out nothing to gratify the pride of life, to gain admiration or praise of men…rather be content with the honor that cometh from God.” He explained to them how widely the popular churches throughout Christendom have departed from the Bible standard of humility, self-denial, simplicity and godliness.