Chapter 4

Chapter 4

~Maya Marlowe~

I liked going into town with my father. There was a coin laundry there where we can clean our clothes. Driving a car through these woods is tricky. But not impossible, father takes this route all the time because it was the only way.

When we exited, we were on the dark road. I rolled down the window a little, letting a slight breeze hit my face.

I sighed heavily, watching people walk down the sidewalk while we ride past them through the tinted window. I saw a few couples and little children. I smiled because they all seemed happy.

"Daddy," I said."Why can't we live in this town? I want to live like these people. They all seem so happy and I want to be around other people."

He looked at me for a second before facing the road again and said,"We will, don't worry. I just don't want you corrupted by these people."

"I know, but I know better," I argued."I know how to behave."

"Pumpkin, what is this about?" My father asked."Is it about the girl you met two weeks ago?" I kept my mouth shut. I knew that this is where my outburst came from, I just wanted to deny it though. I couldn't forget her considering I still had her phone but it wouldn't turn on.

"It is!" My father stated."Listen, not everyone was raised like you, they are doing bad things like drinking, smoking marijuana, practically killing themselves!"

"You didn't even meet her, your so narrow minded to think that you know her!" I found myself screaming at him.

"What does that make you, huh?" He screamed back."From what you told me, you don't even know her, she is the girl that made you shoot one of Earth's beautiful creatures." Tears rushed to my eyes, why did he have to bring that up?

"You're so foul! It wasn't her fault, I'm the one who panicked!" I screeched, my voice cracking. I didn't want to yell at my father but he was giving me every reason to right now.

"Do you hear yourself?" He asked."You barely know her and she is causing you to raise your voice at me! You never yell at me." He was right, I never yelled at him because it wasn't necessary.

"I'm sorry," I said quietly, looking out the car window."Your right." I figured that he was. Father knows best apparently.

I remember once that I asked him what happened to my mother and he told me she was kidnapped and murdered back in Texas. We moved here to this small area in Wisconsin because he said nothing really happens over here.

"Babygirl, I'm doing it for your own protection," He sighed. I nodded to symbolize that I understood him. My dad was indeed right in my mind, he told me that people get killed everyday by other human beings, sometimes for no reason. He doesn't want that to happen to me.

"When we're finished, can I drive back?" I asked.

"Sure," He said. He taught me to drive when I was ten. I was tall enough to reach the petals. At seventeen, I'm five foot eight. I don't feel short even though my father was six foot four. Standing next to him feels as if I was standing next to a tree.

We pulled into the laundromat and I grabbed my basket of clothes while my father carried his. I locked the car while taking the keys from him and putting them in my pocket.

I was wearing some long exercise drawstring pants and a t-shirt. I loved dressing this way but my dad told me some people won't approve of me 'wearing boy clothes,' whatever that meant.

I assumed that's why a woman was staring at me funny. I tried to ignore her as I loaded my laundry into the washing machine.

I got some change from my father as I inserted it into the machine. Why couldn't it just be free? I wondered.