Chapter 27: Reunited

It was the afternoon after your first week in high school. With the weekend finally there, you took the chance to relax with your mom and best friend, Brienne, at your home. The three of you were lounging around on your couch, your head in your mom's lap and your legs draped over Brienne's. A large pile of snacks sat in front of all of you, and a half-eaten pizza was abandoned on the nearby kitchen counter.

"This movie is so cheesy!" Brienne complained, groaning and rolling her eyes. You'd been taking turns all evening picking movies, and this was an oldie your mom loved to watch when she was younger.

"That's what's so great about it!" She argued, tossing popcorn at your unamused friend.

"What girl just drops everything as soon as she graduates and runs off with some guy to get married? What a waste of a degree." Brienne moaned.

"It was romantic at the time!" Your mother defended it.

"Marriage is such a sham," Brienne groaned, "Hardly any of them work and they all just end in heartbreak!"

Briennes knew how hard marriage could be, based on her parents violent and brief time together. Her mom was deep into drugs, and her father used alcohol to cope. After the divorce, her mom dissappeared without a word and her dad spent more time at work than he did at home. As such, she practically lived with you and your mom, with her own bed and everything there whenever she needed it.

"Are you telling me you're never gonna get married, Bri?" Your mother asked.

"Once (Y/N) and I become heroes we'll have men flocking towards us. I'll probably pick one eventually, but I'm gonna save up a ton of money and all three of us are gonna move south. Then (Y/N) and I will open up our agency and make it big."

"I'm glad I get to be included in your plan." Your mom laughed.

"Can we not move too far south? I like it near the ocean," You offered.

"Yeah, of course we're gonna stick by the ocean. What's the point of a water hero that isn't near water?"

"I hope someday they make a movie about you two. And when they're interviewing me for facts and juicy info I'll tell them about how you despised the thought of getting married," Your mother started with a laugh, "And I'll make sure to include that we moved south, but not too far south as to be away from the ocean."

"If you go far enough south you'll end back up at the ocean again," You mentioned.

"That's true, that's true. This opens a lot of options for us. I'll make sure to start looking for good places soon, but first we gotta finish this shitty movie." Brienne laughed.

"Alright, we'll finish this shitty movie." Your mom affirmed, causing you to smile.

Life with them had perfect.

Toshinori had not prepared you well for your visit with your mother. Saffron made the call to your mom, vaguely mentioning she wanted to visit with some of her associates to revisit the case of her missing daughter, one that had been closed years ago. You'd listened in as your mother agreed, answering a few questions about her whereabouts and when would be a good time to meet.

Turns out, the next day was most convenient for her.

Your mother sounded tired as she spoke, her voice aged in the time since you'd last heard her, but the familiarity of it made your heart ache. Had you been the reason she'd lost her carefree voice? Had the worry aged her prematurely? How much damage had you done to the woman you loved more than life itself, and was it repairable?

You missed her so much.

Tears rolled down your face once Saffron hung up, and without hesitation she pulled you to her in wordless hug. You sniffled and trembled against her, elated that you'd see your mother but also filled with fear thinking about how she'd react when she saw you.