Chapter 24: Chiara

Toshi was surprised to feel the warmth of your sleeping body nestled within his arms that morning, and he was even more surprised when he realized the two of you were in his bed. Brief snippets of last night replayed in his head as he studied your face. It was all hazy from his drug induced state, but he remembered the important parts: he'd kissed you. One of the two of you must've confessed, and it apparently went better than he'd ever expected, and now he lay with you sleeping against his chest, your soft hands holding on to him as you dreamt.

Toshinori smiled in utter delight, adjusting you so he had clear access to your face. He pressed his lips against your forehead once, then each of your cheeks, your eyelids, your nose, and finally he placed a gentle kiss against your lips. He was on cloud nine, and as soon as you woke up he planned on giving you as many kisses as you'd allow him.

You stirred slightly, your long lashes blinking against you cheeks as you woke. You stared at him through half-lidded eyes for a moment, and then as you realized the compromising position the two of you were in, your eyes grew wide with embarrassment and utter shock and you started to pull away from him.

The look on your face was not at all what he was expecting. The wheels finally began to turn in Toshinori's head as memories flooded back to his mind. He had kissed you. No confession, no consent, nothing. He'd kissed you against your will after saying all sorts of foolish things to you. He imagined how much you must've hated it and his body filled with dread and utter humiliation. He released you from his arms and pulled away awkwardly.

"Uh... good morning!" He quipped, voice cracking just a little.

"G-Good morning, Toshinori." You stuttered, your face more red than he'd ever seen it. You wouldn't look at him or meet his eyes. You were feeling utterly humiliated and embarrassed. You could tell Toshinori obviously regretted the kiss you'd shared last night, if he even remembered it, and now the energy in the room was awkward at best.

"Do you feel any better?" You asked, wiggling out of his arms and turning away so he couldn't see the bloom of burgundy spreading through your face.

"I feel much better..." you heard his voice crack again, "T-thank you... for helping me. And- everything." He carefully skirted the subject of last night. Guilt filled his core. He would never be able to forgive himself for assaulting you. He wanted to apologize outright, but it was obvious you were humiliated. Apologizing could potentially humiliate you further. He was at war with himself, deciding what the right thing to do would be. He didn't even realize he'd been sitting there, stewing, until you turned your attention back to him for a minute.

Embarrassed as you were, You'd promised yourself that you'd do whatever it took to earn his love and figuring out just how much of last night he remembered was the first step of many. "You alright, Toshi?"

"I-oh. Yes, I'm sorry. I was lost in thought."

"Oh... good." You sat in more awkward silence, unsure of what to say. Was now an appropriate time to confess? Probably not. The mood was definitely much too awkward for that. Perhaps later. You could make him dinner, make it romantic. You knew the best way to Toshi's heart was through his stomach. You could use that to your advantage.

"(Y/n)?" Toshinori began tentatively, his voice softer than you'd ever heard it.

"Y-Yeah, Toshi?"

"I'm sorry about last night... about... kissing you," he choked out the words. He swallowed the lump in his throat and continued. "It was awful of me. I shouldn't have- I- I have no excuse."

You sat in stunned silence for a moment. You honestly hadn't expected him to remember, let alone bring it up.

You chose your words carefully. "I-it's okay, Toshi. I- I didn't mind." You admitted bashfully. He felt his heart leap into his throat. You didn't mind?