Chapter 12: The Date

I huff nervously as I tug at the collar of my shirt. It's too casual for a date. And I told Arin that. But he said that Dan wasn't a big fan of dressing up for dates and that he'd prefer this shirt to a fancier one. But I still feel like I need to change and that Arin will suddenly recall something about Dan that will change his opinion on his previous statement.

"Arin, are you sure that this shirt—" I begin for the thousandth time.

"My God, (Y/N)!" Arin sighs, running a hand through his long, smooth hair. "For the millionth time, Dan likes casual dates! He'll probably be wearing something like this too! Besides, even though you're not wearing particularly fancy clothes, you still look beautiful! Dan will think so too, all right?"

   I smile bashfully. Arin's compliments always mean a lot, since he's not one to sugarcoat.

   Arin's defenses fall a little, my smile making him smile. It's awesome how someone's positive emotions are enough to brighten Arin up as well.

   He walks up to me and grabs me by the shoulders, shaking me a little. "You're going to be fine. No, great. Just let your true self show. Dan won't refuse the real you. Trust me. Your personality is something that other people envy."

   My bashful smile gets wider. "Thanks, Arin," I say, wrapping my arms around my brother.

   Arin hugs back. "Anytime. Happy to save my sis from a panic attack. You get really gassy when that happens."

   I roll my eyes, pulling away. "You're one to talk, mister," I huff, poking Arin in the stomach.

   Arin whines and backs away from me. "Meanie!"

   I chuckle at my adult child of a brother. I steal a glance at the clock that's on Arin's cable box.

   It's exactly 7:00.

I'm about to start panicking that Dan's not gonna show up when the doorbell rings.

I go to answer the door, but Arin blocks me with his arm. "Hold your horses. Let me talk to him first."

I sigh in annoyance but hang back nonetheless.

Arin opens the door, and sure enough, Dan is standing there. He's also got very casual clothes on, just like Arin said he would. I blush a little in embarrassment, since I was being stubborn for nothing. "Hey, Arin! Is (Y/N) around?" he asks, fluffing his hair up a little with his hand. Damn. He knows that I like it when his hair is the size of Markiplier's ego. He must've heard me talk to Arin about that at some point, since I bring up how much I like his fluffy hair a lot.

Arin nods, leaning against the doorframe with a smirk. "Yeah, she's around. So, what are you two planning on doing, exactly?"

"Dinner, and maybe take a walk after? I don't know, wherever the night takes us, I guess," Dan responds, shrugging.

"Are you guys gonna kiss~? Are you gonna shower each other with compliments~? Or are you guys gonna f—" Arin begins, but Dan cuts him off.

"Whoa, easy, there, Arin!" Dan gasps, blushing a bit.

I decide that this is my time to save Dan's life. "Okaayyyy, Arin!" I say, rushing up to the door and shoving him out of the way. "That's enough."

Arin giggles. He ceases his immature behavior and says, "Okay, okay. You two have fun." He then shoves me out of his house and shuts the door right after.

Dan looks down at me and laughs a bit. "Hi."

"Hey." I laugh along with him. "I'm sorry about Arin. He's a bit immature sometimes."