2 - Pretty Handsome Awkward

Soundcheck was boring, but it did give Gerard's day some structure. Otherwise he'd probably still be in his bunk, just counting down the hours till the show. Instead he stood on stage and looked out at the empty room that would be full later. It was a big venue, bigger than they'd played last time they were in this city, that's for sure. 

It still kind of blew his mind that so many people turned up each night to see them. It terrified him too, especially when he started to overthink it all, wonder if he was good enough, if he put on a good show. 

No wonder he'd never done one sober. 

"All sounds good to me" Ray was talking to the guitar techs, Frank the other side checking his own. He'd already tested his mic, so Gerard was technically done, but he liked to stay and hang around with the others. 

"When's The Used soundcheck?" Mikey asked from behind him. 

"Oh, I think they're after ours actually" Gerard hadn't actually seen Bert yet, but it sounded like the other bands had all arrived too if the commotion backstage was anything to go by. 

"Do you guys wanna do a run through to wrap up?" Ray asked, his issue now sorted.

"Sure - Ghost of you?" Gerard turned back to the mic as the rest of them nodded, and waited a moment as the guitars played their melodic intro. 

He began to sing, closing his eyes for a moment even though he knew every single world like it was tattooed onto his skin. Soundcheck could be nice like this, because he wasn't performing or worrying about the crowd, instead he was just standing still and singing, warming up his voice. They didn't need to run through the whole thing, so he stopped after the first chorus, the rest of the guys all trailing off too. 

When he opened his eyes, he saw that the auditorium wasn't completely empty anymore. Bert McCracken stood by the sound desk, leaning back and watching him. 

"You're good to go" the stage manager dismissed them, and Gerard gave Bert a small wave before they left the stage. He probably should've said something, but he didn't really want his relationship to be the centre of attention, not in front of the band and all the crew. The reunion could wait till later. 

Frank had just started to say something to Ray when Bert and a few of his bandmates came round the corner. Before Gerard could properly react Bert snaked an arm round his shoulder and kissed him. 

"Your voice gives me chills every fucking time" He declared before turning to the rest of them "Mikey Way, long time no see, and you lot" he gave a brief nod to Frank Ray and Bob. Ray and Bob smiled back, whilst Frank gave a very half hearted nod in his general direction. 

"Nice to see you too" Gerard blushed a little "we were just gonna all go get coffee if you wanna come?" 

"Yeah fuck it, why not. We've got another ten minutes till our soundcheck anyway" Bert shrugged, keeping his arm round Gerard. 

"Actually I've gotta go make some phone calls" Frank finally spoke up, briefly looking at Gerard before pulling his phone out his pocket as if to prove his point "but I'll catch you all up later."

"Oh, okay" Gerard tried his best to hide his disappointment "see you in a bit then."

"See ya" as Frank walked away Gerard made him self turn and head the other way. At least he wouldn't feel quite so awkward if Bert tried kissing him again. It always felt a bit weird around Frank, he was more self conscious than normal.