Chapter 28

-Rich-

Did this motherfucker just call me selfish when I drove down here to see my best friend's labor? Who does this asshole think he is? And why is everyone leaving me out of the loop? What the fuck.

A rational man would've let this go and sob in a bar over life but I'm not a rational man. I quickly got in my car and sped out the parking lot so fast, it left skid marks. This asshole doesn't know who he's messing with.

"Stupid Steven. Think he can tell me off? Bring it on you little sensitive bitch. Go back to L.A. and stay there." I muttered as I drove down the highway.

I saw several cabs, which only served to make my job harder, but traffic isn't going to get in my way. I drove by several of them and didn't see them. The only place they'd have to go is Vivian's apartment so I made a turn at an exit and took the short cut there. As I went down a neighborhood I saw Steven with his arm around Vivian in the cab. It only fueled my anger more. 

They were in a close embrace and it unnerved me to see how he looked down at her. He can't possibly care for her as much as I do; it's just not possible. I'm breaking laws here but I didn't see any cops in the rear view mirror so I decided to risk it. I drove to the left side of the road, right beside their cab and rolled down the passenger window. 

"Hey!" I yelled.

"Hey!" I yelled louder. "Open the window!"

I got Steven's attention and he seemed to be in shock. Yeah, be in shock, loser. Vivian was freaking out and rolled down her window. "Rich, what the hell are you doing?"

"That piece of shit has no right to just kick me to the curb, Vivian."

"You're driving on the wrong side of the road, Rich! Pull over." she commanded.

I heard a car honk and looked in front of me to see a dark blue car headed straight at me. I quickly slowed down as Viv yelled for the driver to speed up. I was able to change lanes just in time before a collision.

"Watch it, asshole!" a woman yelled from the blue car.

"You watch it, psycho!" I yellled back. What is with people today?

The cab pulled over into Viv's apartment complex and I made sure to floor it. I slammed the door to my car and loosened my tie. Steven was helping Viv out the care but I didn't see a need for his hand to constantly be on her waist. I took him by surprise and grabbed his collar, and gave him a good sucker punch in the jaw. He fell to the floor a little too dramatically, and winced in pain. 

If he can talk it, he needs to learn how to take it. 

"Richard, what the hell?!" Viv knealed and helped him dust off his jacket. His nose had a trickle of blood running down and he looked like an angry bull, but in truth, he was like a chipmunk.

"Do you really want to do this?" he growled.

"Yeah, why not? You're the one who doesn't belong here. I've known her for practically my whole life and you are not going to change anything." I pointed aggressively.

"Oh, really. Knocking her up doesn't change anything?" he smirked through his disgusting injury.

I lunged forward but the cab driver stepped out and held me back. I don't even know where the hell he came from.

"Calm down there, boy. You're causing the little lady to cry." his hoarse voice whispered. 

I looked to Vivian and saw her comforting him and apologizing to him? Where the hell was my apology?

"I can't believe you're siding with him."

"I am not siding with anyone, Richard. A lot is going on right now and I just need you to back off a little."

"Back off? I've "backed off" for weeks now. Is that not enough?"

She sighed, "You just show up at the worst of times."

"If you'd just tell me what's going on then I'll lay off but I need to know." 

"No, you don't." Steven interjected.

"No one was talking to you." I said still looking at Vivian. 

"Just go. She doesn't need this and I definitely don't need this."

"I said, no one was talking to you." I gritted.

"I heard you. I just find it fun pissing you off." 

I ignored his remark and walked towards my best friend. I wiped the tears from her cheeks and held her face steadily. "Please. Tell me what's bothering you so bad?"

Her brown eyes showed my reflection from all the water works and I could see the dark circles now that I'm closer. Her usual easy-going persona was gone. She was empty.

"I lost it." she spoke softly.

"What?" I didn't quite get what she meant. She lost what?

"I," she sniffled and the water works began again, "I lost the baby." 

Her tears were like streams now and her cries weren't silent. It was heartbreaking hearing it. She stepped away from me and crouched to the floor, hugging herself. I couldn't do anything but stand there. 

 Why didn't I just listen to the douche and back off? Because now, I'm useless.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

 "It's useless to show how much you damn care for that special someone when that person is too busy getting somebody's attention."

"It's a completely useless emotion- jealousy. Don't go there."

"When men are pure, laws are useless. When men are corrupt, laws are broken."

Have an awesome weekend peeps! :)