Chapter 2

***Not Edited***

Vivian's POV

I was absolutely speechless. I mean, what was I suppose to say? Oh, Rich, my best friend for ten years, you've met a girl that you've yet to tell me about. It's not my business anyway. Why do I care?
Oh, right because I'm one selfish bitch. That's why.

Just two days ago, we had celebrated our ten year anniversary. We went to Olivia's, a small diner that we discovered after our high school graduation, and it's been a tradition to go every year our friendship lasted.
Olivia, a sweet 84 year old woman, greeted us every year and she always had our table set up before we even arrived. She was an amazing woman, and even she could see my feelings for Rich.

"Sometimes men can be so clueless." Olivia said shaking her head.

"I don't quite understand what you mean."

"Oh, honey I've owned this diner for a good 30 years, and I have seen plenty of couples come in here as happy as can be. But none of them ever compared to what I see between you two." she winked.

"We're just friends." I blushed.

"Not from what I see. Don't let him go; he's a keeper. And it's not long before another girl will come along and steal his attention." Olivia warned.

That was almost 7 years ago, and she was right. Another girl had stole his attention.
But I was his best friend. I was suppose to support him and be happy for him. And yet, I'm not. I just sat there, staring off into space.

"Viv? Vivian? Viv!" Rich stated from beside me.

"Did you hear what I said?" I nodded my head slowly.

"...uh congrats! I'm so happy for you!" I stood up and hugged him. But inside I was trying to keep it together as best as I could.

"Thanks, Viv. I can't wait for you to meet her. She's amazing, and I just know you two will get along." He said knowingly.

"Yeah, right. I'm sure we will. So...when are we meeting this mystery girl?"

"I'm not to sure about that. Her line of work is hectic and you should know ,fashion waits for no one."

"Fashion?" Oh, please tell me he's not dating some stuck up designer.

"And no. She's not a designer so, no need to worry about competition." How does he always know what to say? I was annoyed yet, pleased at the same time.

"She's a model." And my happiness just vanished.

Couldn't he have chosen a girl with a law degree or maybe even a nice secretary for some small company? But noooo, she just had to be some hot shot model. Bet she's blonde.

"Well, that's great, Richard. I'm sure she's a nice girl." Lillian said to break the weird tension. Thank you, Lillian.

"I'm hoping she'll come to the family dinner next month."

"You're bringing her for dinner?!" I asked incredulously.

All I got was a nod from Richard. And the Hardings were so shocked I swear a bug could've flown into their mouths and they wouldn't even notice.

"I have a good feeling about her."

The car was filled with awkward silence as we drove home that night. I was still trying to get my head around it but, I just couldn't stop asking myself why wouldn't he tell me about her? I don't think I've done anything to make him mad so why?

"Hey, Rich?"

"Hm?"

"How come you didn't tell me about your.."

"Girlfriend?" Oh, so she's his girlfriend. Great. Note the sarcasm.

"Uh, yeah. That." I said uncomfortably.

"I guess I just wanted you to be surprised. Besides haven't you noticed that there weren't any nagging women in my office for a good two weeks now?"

I did notice. But I just figured they'd gave up. I was still confused though. Richard must have seen the look on my face because he let out a quiet sigh.

"Viv, I'm not mad at you or anything. I just, I don't know. We don't have to tell each other everything right? I mean, I'm sure you don't want to know how great she is in bed."

"Ew! Rich! That's gross." I said playfully hurting his arm.

"Hey, no hitting the driver," he laughed "but I really do like her Viv."

"Yeah...I know."

I was late. Again. Yeah, this is just not my week. First, Rich tells us he's inviting some new girl to the family dinner, I have a dead line for a custom wedding dress soon, and I still make time for Rich and I's daily lunch breaks. Not to mention, I woke up late this morning so I'm 99.9% sure that I look like crap.

"Hi Mrs. Halbot, how are ya?"

"Oh, I'm fine dear. Are you looking for little Richie?" Mrs. Halbot knew Rich from his toddler years and still insisted on calling him "little Richie." It was cute though.

"Yep. I'm here for lunch. Why?"

"He's already left. I thought he was meeting you." she said. She wrinkled her eyebrows in confusion.

"Well, let me call and see- Oh! There he is now." I turned to where Mrs. Halbot indicated his presence.

Oh. My. God.

There he was. My childhood friend decked out in a dark gray suit and black button up with a purple striped tie that I got him for Christmas. But what got my attention was the curvy blonde hanging on his arm. She had a bright red dress on with gold heels that were at least 6 inches tall. How does she stand in those?

What I tell ya? Blonde. Her eyes were a piercing blue that could make any man fall and any woman jealous. Her legs were on going, and as they got closer, I got more and more insecure. I was just in some dark blue jeans and long sleved white shirt that was pulled up to my elbows and I was wearing a mere 3 inch black heels that had a gazzillion zippers strapped around my ankles. I turned around to face Mrs. Halbot once again to catch my breath. I can do this. She's just a girl. It's not like she's some vicious monster from Jennifer's Body. It'll be fine.

Mrs. Halbot must have seen my panicked expression. She gave me a soft smile and reached over to gently squeeze my hand. I smiled back in thanks, and faced what was probably the worst news of my life.

"Viv! Hey, can I help you with anything?" Richard's eyes were a dazzling blue; he's happy.

"Uh, no it was nothing. I was just about to leave actually."

Realization crossed his face, and he looked apologetic.

"Lunch. I'm so sorry Viv. I must've forgotten to call you that I had to pick up Alise today." He looked really guilty, and I couldn't stay mad when he pulled that face. And I didn't exactly want ot come off as a whining bitch in front of Alise.

"It's okay, really. I just came by to tell you that I have a busy day ahead so, I already ate." The lie came out smoothly and I hope he would buy it because I hated it when he felt like he needed to make something up to me. He always goes to the extreme.

"Oh. Well, okay. So no lunch?" he said worriedly. Okay, Vivian Grace Keeley here's the finale.

"Nope, sorry. It's just been a crazy time for me in the studio. And who might this be?" Alright, just a few more polite comments and I'm outta here.

"Sorry, this is Alise. Alise this is my best friend, Vivian." she extended her long, slender arms.

Her nails were cleanly cut and had a nice red coat painted on them. I shook her hand with a huge grin plastered on my face.

"Hi, Rich has told me a lot about you." I said honestly.

"Really?," she lifted her perfectly plucked eyebrow to Rich, "he hasn't mentioned you."

Okay, I offciially don't like this girl. I was shocked to say the least. Richard shuffled in place uncomfortably.

"I was going to tell you about Viv, I just wanted you to be more comfortable with me first." Richard rushed out. Alise's expression changed to adoration, and she moved closer to him.

"I think we know eachother enough Rich," she slid her hands up his broad shoulders, "you have to share." she said while winking. Ew. I don't even want to know.

But did she just call him Rich? That was always my nickname for him. I couldn't help but, feel slightly hurt that I indeed had to share my best friend with boobs for brains here.

"You know what? It's getting pretty late, and my dead line is soon. So I should probably get going." I was only a few minutes away from breaking down in tears.

The only acknowledgment I got was a "Sure" from Rich. I nodded and quickly made my way to the elevator.

I pressed L for lower floor and leaned against the wall. It felt like my legs just gave out, and the walls were my only support. I clutched my shirt as if it were suffocating me but it wasn't. I just needed to breathe. In. Out. In. Out.

I walked the three blocks back to the boutique. One of the clerks greeted me, but I just couldn't be bothered. I made my way to the studio and slammed the door shut. And I finally gave in.

The tears just wouldn't stop. It was like deep down I knew that this would change everything. So I just let go. All these feelings just came crashing straight into my heart. And the pain just wouldn't go away.

A few hours later, I had finally managed to stop my never ending tears. I looked through the curtains, and saw that it was already night fall. I checked my phone and saw 6:23 brightly shown in white. I still haven't had lunch.

I went throught the door to the boutique and saw that the workers were closing up. Then I saw a bag of Dunkin' Donuts with my name written on the bag.

"Just a little something for you to indulge in. And don't worry, she's nothing compared to a gem like you. -Mrs. Halbot."

I smiled slightly at that. She really was sweet. I took the bag back to the studio, and ate in the silence of the room. Alone.