Chapter 1: Refuge

I've seen movies and pictures of war, of the end of the world. I just never knew I'd get to experience it. The saddest part is that no one really knew how it started. Something caused our country to go to war with itself. Other countries seeing this weakness decided to strike causing all hell to break loose. Everyone was fighting everyone. 

We lived with my mom after my parent's divorce. We stayed in the house not really feeling safe without a man in the house. My dad would call every once and then to make sure we are okay, but I hated him for not being there with us. His voice alone was not going to save us when we needed him. But it did in a way, my mom got a call from dad telling her we needed to get away from the house and get as far as we can.

My mom started yelling at me to take my brother Adam and run. I didn't want to leave her but I heard cars pulling out in front of the house. I knew if I stayed my little brother was going to die too, so I ran through the back door dragging him along with me. When I heard the gun shots I was sure my mom died. But we had to keep going or else her death would have been in vain. A mother's final act for her children. We did what we needed to do to survive. We stole cars, sneaked on to whatever trains still ran, hitchhiked, as long as we got to safety. I remembered my uncle Ben had a safe house, which was where we were heading. He wasn't really my uncle, but he was very close with my dad, and so we just grew up calling him uncle because he was like family. I just hoped his safe house still remained.

We were a week's venture away according to the crumpled map I carried in my pocket. It was hard to get there. Hard when you couldn't trust anyone. Did not know who was friend and who was foe. That's why we were hiding in an abandoned home as looters roamed the deserted streets. They were getting closer.

I grabbed my brother's face in my hands. "Listen to me Adam, we won't make it out of here alive. If they come in, I will distract them. Once you know that we're far away then you run. Run to the safe house, I'll meet you there."

I shoved the map into his hands forcing his fingers to close around it. I had been teaching him to read it, to read the stars and the ground like my father had taught me. 

Adam's bottom lip trembled. "I don't want to lose you."

I kissed his forehead. "Nothing will keep me from coming back to you."

"You promise?"

"I promise," I told him before pulling him to my chest and kissing his head again. I was frightened. I was scared I wouldn't make it. That Adam would have no family left, but he was my brother. I would die to make sure he was safe. And so I ran and made sure the looters followed. 

They shot at me, enjoying the chase. I had been running for months now. They did not know who they were after. I managed to lose them by climbing a tree. What was supposed to be a week's trip became two, but I eventually made it.

I didn't make it anywhere near my uncle's cabin when I was surrounded by soldiers with guns. I dropped to my knees keeping my hands above my head. 

A man with a scar running down his face pointed the gun to my face. "How did you find this place?"

"It's my uncle's safe house, my brother... did he make it?" I asked.

"Who's your uncle?" they asked, ignoring my question.

"Ben Wilson, please is my brother here? His name is Adam Michelson, he's only seven," I tried again. The man with the scar nodded to one of the other men who disappeared. A few moments later I saw my uncle Ben. I hadn't seen him since before my parent's divorce. He looked older. War did that to people.

"Uncle Ben" I exclaimed daring to stand up.

"Guns down," he ordered. As soon as I saw it was clear I ran to the man and threw my arms around him squeezing him tight. It felt so good to be with family. To feel safe.

His hug was warm. "Sweet girl, I'm so happy you're alive. That you're here."

"Is Adam here?" I asked pulling back.

His brows furrowed before he shook his head. "No, where did you last see him?"

"I was leading some looters away from him, he should be here soon."

He was supposed to be here.

"Come in Tess," he ushered. "Bath, eat, have a change of clothes, sleep in a bed. Tomorrow I'll have my men scavenger the area."

That sounded amazing.

"Can I go with them?" I asked. 

He paused. 

"There are rules in this compound, we'll discuss them later. Come on, it's not safe to stay out too late," he said. He was right. I followed my uncle and his men. The cabin was just a cover. Instead, he had redone a whole compound underground. It fit hundreds of people. Men, women, children filled the compound. It was amazing.

"You see Tess, in order for this compound to keep functioning we have devised rules. Only our army can go out on land, it's to ensure the safety of our people," my uncle explained, only pausing to smile at passing refugees.

"Then I will join it," I stated. No rules were going to keep me away from finding Adam. I would help these people in whatever way I could. I would avenge my mother. I would help make the world a little better. I was not going to be useless.

My uncle winced. "There is a lot of training--"

"Forgive me uncle, but I have the ability that none of your men have," I reminded him.

He smiled fondly. "Right, just like your father."

"That's right," I nodded. "I'd like to see anyone here profile a person the way I could."

I was not only a natural born profiler, but I was personally trained by my father. A researcher who specialized in this field. He was the best in the world.

He chuckled. "Alright Tessa, I am convinced. We don't start training until we have ten volunteers. With you, they will be eight. I cannot bend the rules for anyone, not even my own family. It is the only way we continue to function down here."

"Fine, I'll follow your rules, but I want my brother to be searched for," I was not taking no as an answer. 

My uncle nodded. "But of course, he is my family. I will even give you a room in the training wing with an extra bed waiting for him."

I let out a small sigh. "Thank you uncle Ben."

"What is family for?"

And so I listened to him. I bathed. I changed. I slept. And I waited. I waited for weeks before someone walked into my room.

A man with dirty blond hair and light brown eyes, he seemed to be older than me by a few years. I had never seen him before. Before I could question what he was doing here, he threw the bag on his back on the bed that was supposed to my brother's.

"Hi roomie."

-----------------------------------------------

I know, I know, I did change it a bit. I wrote this a while back on my phone, it really sucked. The idea is still the same, but the writing style has matured!

Don't forget to vote and comment!

I always look forward to what you have to say!

Love you!

XO