The Body Pt.2

Shoutout to Cherryrosemuffin for voting for the body!, thanks gender neutral character!!!!!!!______________________________________________
'Haha!, that was much easier than I expected'. He mused as he and the coffin landed with a thud. They had reached their destination quickly. Just as he had expected. Dan dragged the coffin across the black void floor with a huff annoyed at how heavy the dang coffin was. He was keen on reaching his home before the void beings found them. He shuddered to think what they would do with two fresh bodies at their disposal.

Dan's eyes scanned the vast expanse of the void while simultaneously checking on the coffin. He wouldn't have anyone stealing his stuff again. A human body was unheard of in the void so he had to keep constant vigilance. 'Huh, Mad-eye will proud of me' Dan thought, smiling while he did so, intent on keeping his mood stable. Not wanting to..... you know, risk his sanity. He was always on edge in the void. The place always seemed to suffocate him, gripping his soul like a vice with the intent of draining his HOPE and DETERMINATION to make him like them. Empty

"Not gonna happen today, Void". Dan said to himself as he finally found what he was looking for. A small opening on the ground like a little hole someone had dug. "Not ever". He said, with conviction this time. He moved over the coffin to the space opposite of the hole and moved back in front it of it. Dan plunged his hand in the hole and surprise surprise, the switch was still there. A clever mechanism someone before him had installed to keep this place hidden. Taking a deep breath, he grabbed onto the head of the switch and pulled it sideways.

There was a click.... and another..... and the sound of interlocking pistons suddenly filled the silence of the void. Though it would seem that his luck would run out as screeches can be heard from the distance, their call was deafening on his ears. 'Goddamnit!'. 'These void beings must really hate me' Dan reasoned as he ran towards the coffin, adrenaline and fear coursing through his veins. 'Triggering the emotionless, melting and forgotten beings wanting to take your soul was a good idea'. Said no one.

Grabbing the ledge of the coffin, Dan pushed hard. So hard that his hand to became numb slightly from the force of it. He ignored the upcoming pain and kept pushing the coffin towards the hole, which had grown much larger and now revealed a hollow part of the void's interior. He kept pushing with all his might while keeping his fear in check. Honestly, He must have misjudged the distance or he was pushing way too hard and fast because he found the coffin suddenly tilting after his third push.

The tilt caused the whole coffin to suddenly disappear into nothingness as the hole he was pushing into swallowed it like a giant hungry beast. It hit the surface of the cave with a loud crashing sound. 'Oops, that's gonna leave a mark' Dan winced, surprised his thought process was still cracking witty jokes even as he heard a shrill screech just behind him. Yelping, he jumped into the hole with no regrets and the hole shrunk behind him.

Just in time too as a huge hulking monstrosity of inky blackness leapt at the hole with a screech as it desperately tried to find the delicious treat it just saw. Snarling furiously, it stalked across the base of the hole where it's food disappeared. Stomping it's feet furiously yet noiselessly on the ground beneath it. After a few minutes of fruitless searching however, the creature suddenly howled in pain as the hunger within it took over it's senses. "FOo-d" It cried. "I - n- E-ed F-O-oD" It shouted to the endless void, wanting something that it can never have. The creature wallowed in it's misery for a while before slowly, making it's way back to the endless nothingness. It's fate unknown and hunger........ All-consuming.

First Person Perpective: Dan

I was safe, for now at least. I didn't even see the thing coming, it was too fast and blended with the shadows too well. 'That was too close' I thought. 'Way too close'. I slumped over to the side of the cave and took a deep breath. 'I don't want to die. I don't want to die'. Those thoughts plague me again and again, bombarding my brain every time I come here. Taking over my mind and driving it closer to brink of insanity. 'No, no no no no no' I thought as my head was suddenly filled with fear, with what ifs and ugly scenarios to haunt my dreams.