18. Night Has a Thousand Eyes

Two days have passed and everything is good. Things are slowly going back to normal... our new normal with Hope being home. Nik and I are finally in a better place than we were a couple of days ago and Hope is now home. I've never felt more complete than I do now.

The day before yesterday Nik and I spent the day together with Hope. It was not the best idea to let her sleep on our bed the night before because she practically took up the whole bed.

This morning I woke up early and took Hope to the park. After we left the park, I went to the grocery store to pick up a few things that Hope needed. Right now I'm walking through the French Quarter on my way back to the compound.

As I pushed Hope in her stroller I saw Ileana and Jackson from a distance. When she notices me, she waves at me and walks over to me, bringing Jackson along with her.

"Hey." She smiles. "What are you doing here? I thought you were at the compound."

"I took Hope to park for a little while because she hasn't been out in days." I said as I looked at my daughter and she's cooing happily. "You had fun, didn't you, H?"

I tickled Hope and she giggles as we came upon a violinist on the sidewalk who is playing an upbeat tune.

"What are you guys doing out?" I asked as I pulled a fifty-dollar bill out of my pocket and placed it in her violin case.

"We just wanted to take a walk." Ileana said as we started to walk away.

I heard the violinist playing a much slower tune. I looked at the violinist and the lady is just staring at me making me uncomfortable. The tune she played sounded like background song from a cartoon episode that supposed to scare a child.

"That song... What is it?" Ileana asked and I looked at her not knowing what to say because I don't know the song.

I looked at the violinist who's still staring at me which is starting to creep me out. "Let's go." I told them as I started walking fast down the road.

I look around to see if anyone looks suspicious and I saw a waiter writing a message on a chalkboard outside of a restaurant that reads, "A promise made is a debt to be paid."

I became even more alarmed and started to look around. Out of nowhere, a man stops us and he's holding a large, long-stemmed red and black flower in his hand.

"Flowers, miss." The man said as he holds it out to Hope. "A gift for the child."

"Uh, no." Jackson told him, kindly. "We're alright. Thank you."

"You sure?" The man asks as I stared at the man suspiciously as he holds up the flower. "Black dahlias are in bloom. They're quite lovely."

Dahlias...

"Excuse me." I said as I pushed past the man, trying to leave as fast as I could but the man grabs my arm tightly and both of his eyes turn pure white.

I was ready to snap the guy's neck when I heard a whoosh and the guy disappeared from in front of me. I spun around and saw that Nik had pinned him by the neck against the light post.

"Show yourself, witch." He growls.

I looked at Ileana and she looks terrified. Suddenly, Jackson stumbles forward and his eyes turn white.

"Nik!" I called out to him and he turns to see Jackson standing in front of us.

"I am here. I am everywhere. And I intend to take what is mine."

"It's her." Nik says as we both came into realization.

Jackson groans as he's release from whatever Dahlia did to him. He looks at me and Nik in confusion when he notices our fear. "Hey, what just happened?"