3. Every Mother's Son

Two weeks have past and Stefan ended up staying for about a week and a half before he left. I barely spoke to Ileana. She left to find Hayley and Jackson. Nik and I are doing okay, I guess. I mean, things are better than it was these last four months.

I went to the courtyard when I noticed a table full of fruits. I looked at it in confusion and I shrugged my shoulders, thinking that it was Nik who got it and I help myself. I took a grape when I heard footsteps so I turned and I saw Nik walking over to me.

"So, I guess I have to be thanking you for all of this." I said and he looks confused for a moment.

"It's certainly a card I've played in the past, but I had no hand in this..." Nik says, gesturing to the food on the table.

"I guess we have Elijah to thank...?"

"This wasn't my doing..." Elijah says as he enters the courtyard and he too looks confused.

"Then, where did this all come from?" I asked and suddenly the silver lid on the platter begins to rattle, startling me. Nik lifts the platter and two starlings that fly up toward the ceiling. "Okay... What the hell was that?"

Nik picks up the note and reads it. He finishes reading he looks up at us a bit nervous.

"An invitation from our mother."

***

I'm laying on the bed and Nik is standing on the balcony that overlooks the French Quarter and he's staring at the invitation. "It is times like this I'm really glad my mother is dead."

"We have enough enemies here." Nik says as he turns around and walks over to me. "And now, the war for our home is to be fought against my own family."

"Your psychotic mother and her lackeys tried to kill our daughter with a carving knife through her heart." I told him as I sat up. "I'll happily kill her as well."

Nik smirks at me.

"You will do no such thing." Elijah says as he enters the room. "Esther's a master in the art of possession. We know whose body she currently inhabits. We must decipher her intentions before she finds a new host."

"Well, her last invitation was an assassination attempt on all her children. I think we can assume her intentions are decidedly foul."

"Well, then. We have..." Elijah checks his watch and looks up at us, "... this afternoon to prepare for the worst."

Elijah leaves and I rolled my eyes before flopping back onto the bed.

"I guess us dressing up as if we're going to court is apart of your brother's plan

"I guess us dressing up as if we're going to court is apart of your brother's plan." I said as I pulled him on top of me.

"I guess it is." Nik says and he kisses me.

After a moment he pulls away and just stares at me making me confused, "What's wrong?"

"Nothing." Nik says putting a smile on his face.