Chapter 9 - Struggles

Sierra's POV

I swallowed hard, concentrating on my angle to cut through the skin until I heard a faint cry beside me. I turned to find Major, sitting obediently beside my feet as he watched me. His beady eyes fixated on mine, loyally waiting for me.

I turned my gaze back onto Dominic's neck but began feeling uncomfortable having Major's orbs intently watching me

I turned my gaze back onto Dominic's neck but began feeling uncomfortable having Major's orbs intently watching me. I pulled the knife away, hanging it by my side. 

"Don't look at me like that!" I whispered to him. "He killed my mother!" 

I watched as he tilted his head to one side, his eyes questioning everything I just said. I sighed deeply, hanging my head, trying to think of what I should do. Aria let out a cough which caused Dominic to stir. I quickly walked out of there, careful not to make a thudding noise with my feet. Major followed closely behind. I shut the door, placing my head against the cold wood of it. I failed my mother. I felt so many emotions running through me now that I struggled to pinpoint which one I should be holding onto. I looked down to see Major waiting so patiently, clearly anxious to head to the beach.

"Alright, let's go," I whispered to him. 

He followed me as I went down the stairs. When I reached the doors that lead onto the deck, Rogue was in front of them tapping her front feet on the floor as she glanced in my direction a few times. I unlocked the door and upon opening it, they both bolted towards the grass of the garden. I casually made my way towards the beach at a slow pace, allowing them to have their morning bladder releases. 

A few minutes later, I could hear them both playing with each other as they stumbled down towards where I stood. They would bark and growl amongst their play, each trying to grab the other's front legs to knock them over with Major at an advantage due to his height. 

"I guess we're relaxing a bit on the beach instead of jogging?" I spoke to them only to be ignored as Major barked at Rogue, twirling around briskly to land facing her again, edging her on to chase him. 

I stood there, crossing my arms over my chest in an attempt to keep warm as I watched the waves crashing against the rocks. Every now and then, the two pups would run past me, kicking up beach sand with their paws. 

"Aren't you cold?" I heard a gruff voice directly behind me, startling me and causing me to jump slightly. 

I turned around to see Nico standing there with his hands in his pockets. His hair was disheveled and he had bags underneath his eyes. He had a slightly paler look to him with a 5 o'clock shadow beginning to form. He looked drained and fatigued. 

"A little, but it's alright. We won't be here for too long. Just getting home now?" I turned back to look at the sea.

"Yeah, there have been a few issues at the clubs that I have been trying to sort out and it's been causing quite the ruckus." I saw him, in my peripheral vision, stand beside me, his hands still in his pockets.