Chapter 37 - Agenda

My body was completely tense, and I was trying desperately not to move a muscle, the steel of Maya's blade digging so deeply into my throat I could feel blood trickling down my neck. I couldn't understand what was happening. I just couldn't process that Maya was holding me at knife point, threatening to kill me.

"Maya what the hell are you doing?!" screamed Hunter, a tone of panic in his voice. "Let him go!"

"Shut up, Hunter," she spat, "This doesn't concern you."

"The hell it doesn't!" he yelled.

"You traitorous bitch!" Olivia exploded. "Are you seriously working with these nutters?"

"The only crazy people here are you lot," Maya scoffed, "You all walk about here every day, playing sorcerer and acting like you're so cool because you can do magic. You don't even think about the world outside, about the horrible things that happen to people, about real life and how much this world sucks."

"You want to know what the hell I'm doing?" she continued. "I'm helping to bring real justice back to this miserable world. To make sure people don't have to suffer. We're sorcerers for god sake! We shouldn't be hiding in the shadows, we should be ruling this world and making sure mortals and sorcerers alike answer for their crimes!"

"You call this justice?!" Hunter gasped, gesturing to the knife that was still pressed firmly into my neck. "This isn't justice, it's violence and threats and murder! Just because we have power doesn't give us the right to cast divine judgement over everyone!"

"How can you of all people say that?" Maya pleaded. "Maybe if sorcerers were in charge, our father wouldn't be dead!"

This caused Hunter to flinch and a pained expression crossed his face. He said nothing for a second, before replying, "I would love to use my power to help people. You don't think I wish I could go into a hospital and just cure everyone? But we can't, because if we did then we'd all become lab experiments, exploited for our abilities. Mortals fear what they don't understand or control...and I can understand that to an extent. But that still doesn't mean we should rule over them by force."

"I think you're wrong," Maya muttered, "Mortals have been running things for this long and it's a mess. They couldn't control us if we fought and dominated them, and if we rose up together as one then we could easily defeat them. Then we would be in charge."

"Ceroya see this to be fact," the woman interjected, "And she works to make this dream a reality. Once she succeeds in taking power, she will make this world a better place for all who live here, mortal and sorcerer alike."

"We don't want to live in a world where people are punished like this, or are subjugated into being 'good'," Az muttered darkly, "That's not true peace, that's a dictatorship, regardless of how much good it might bring. Living in fear isn't worth it."

"Those like you without the vision to see our perfect future will be eliminated," the woman stated, "You are a threat to the world Ceroya wishes to create."

"See, this is just exactly what I meant," Az sighed, "Crazy fanatics like you preach peace but spread violence. You're completely full of shit."

The woman's' expression changed for the first time since revealing herself; her eyebrows knitted together, and she spoke with an edge to her voice. "You best watch what you say to me, boy, or I might just kill you here and now. She looked at Maya once again and said, "Bring him to me, Maya."

"All of you, back up!" she yelled, "If any of you make a move towards us, I'll kill him, I swear to god I will!"

"Maya, stop! Please!" Hunter begged, "Don't do this!"