Chapter 21 - It'll Be Fun!

We spent a few hours at the lake that night. After Hunters' revelations, I felt more comfortable about telling him a little about myself; I felt like I should at least be able to tell him something like my favourite colour considering he'd told me about how he'd essentially grown up in poverty.

As it happened, we had a lot in common; we both had similar tastes in movies, music, and foods, although Hunters' experience of these things was limited considering he'd only really had access to them for the last two years. I'd also found he also wanted to be a medical necromancer following his graduation from MerPrep, which didn't surprise me in the slightest.

In return I told him all about Zac and my parents, and a little more about my difficulties trying to overcome my anxiety. I was a little embarrassed at first, but he never looked at me differently or judged me as I spoke. The more I spoke to him, the more comfortable I felt around him, and the less I tripped up over my words.

However, I didn't tell him about me being gay because I wasn't quite ready to take that leap of faith. I also didn't mention the Vazaria seed; for one thing I didn't actually know what it really was, and for another I wasn't sure how he would feel knowing I had essentially cheated my way into getting magic.

When we eventually went back to our dorm room, I was stunned to find that I had forgotten all about the masses of spells I had to learn; the sight of the books splayed across my bed reminded me and brought some of the anxiety back. Still, I was surprised Hunters' plan had worked, at least for a few hours.

"Why don't I run you through some of the basics tonight?" Hunter asked when he saw me frowning down at the books.

"Basics?" I enquired, "Like channelling?"

"No," he grinned, "I was meaning what the different disciplines of magic actually involve and how Classes of spells work?"

"A-are you sure? Wouldn't you rather spend the rest of the night doing something you'd enjoy?" I asked tentatively.

"Are you kidding? This'll be fun!" I thought he was lying but I didn't see any way to dissuade him, so I had no choice but to accept his help. I piled the books up on my desk and pulled out my chair. Hunter adopted his usual reversed pose on his chair. I sighed internally and grabbed a pen and notepad to start taking notes.

"Okay, so I'm guessing you know what the eight disciplines of magic are by now?"

"Yeah, I'd figured that much out by myself," I joked.

"Oh, sassy! Who knew you had it in you?" He winked and I immediately blushed. "Okay so you already know what Illusion magic is all about thanks to Madame Thornton; I don't care what she says, it's basically just making fake stuff appear out on nowhere, whether it's an object or a noise or a smell. Enchantment is similar to Illusion, except with Enchantment magic, you're actually making someone feel something fake or forcing them to do something. It's sorta like mind control."

"Okay, I think I'm with you," I muttered, scribbling quickly.

"Now, Abjuration. That's one of your specialities. Abjuration has two main branches. One is using magic to create shields, whether that's with a physical ward or by dispelling magical effects before they can cause harm. The other branch is using your magic to boost or reduce someone's abilities; for example, you could use Abjuration magic to make someone faster or slower. Mixed with Evocation, which is mostly just using elemental magic for offensive purposes, and you're a ready build Sentinel – that's essentially the magical equivalent of a police force."

"Transmutation involves changing an object or person into something else. Usually the changes need to make sense though; I mean you couldn't really change something organic like a grape into something inorganic like a rock, or into something much larger like a car. You actually can do things like that but you'd need to use a lot more magic to conjure up the atoms you need to make the change. But you could easily turn a grape into something like a blueberry. Advanced transmutation lets you fabricate things from thin air by conjuring up new atoms, but like I said before, that requires a lot of magic and a focus in Transmutation."