Chapter VII- Won't Get Fooled Again

"Hey, Layla!" Sam calls from behind me, "Wait up!" He says before I open my car door. I'm fuming, and going to try my best to not lose my temper with Sam, too.

"What?" I say short, not looking at him. He jogs up next to me and I turn to face him.

"I'm sorry about Dean. He shouldn't have said that." Sam says. "And you're right, you do have the right to be pissed off sometimes," He stops and laughs, "but so does Dean. Even though he can be a major jerk." I raise my eyebrows and cross my arms. "We're just trying to help you. That's all we've ever wanted."

"I don't think Dean feels that way, and I'd rather an apology from him than anything... But since you're just so dang cute," I say, squeezing his cheek really hard. "I'll let it slide this time." I turn to get into my car. "I'll work with you guys. But you better not treat me like a baby." I say and slam the door. I turn on the car and wave goodbye to Sam as I drive away.

I decided that I was going to let up on the boys, just a tad. They had obviously been through a lot... Maybe a little more than me. I shake my head. Sam's a good person, and Dean... Well, I wasn't doing this for him, just Sam. I would never forgive Dean.

I go directly to my motel room and lay down on the bed with my bad which I'd stored the files in, surprised at how easy it had been to just take it. I sit for a moment, then begin to sift through my black purse. I draw my eyebrows in with confusion. I couldn't find them, and I even turned my bag upside down to dump the contents of my bag on the bed.

After a few seconds of panic, I run out to the car and look to see if my files were in here. No sign of them. I roll my eyes, once again bubbling with anger. It had to of been Dean.

I rush back inside and dial Sam's number. There was no answer. I cuss and call Bobby instead.

"Hey, Layla, how was your first day?" Bobby began but I was in a hurry.

"Um, good. I think Dean jacked my files." I say and I hear a sarcastic mumble from Bobby.

"That boy, I tell ya. What'd ya need?" He asks and smirk.

"Dean's number, Sam won't pick up." I tap my foot impatiently.

When Bobby gives me the number I memorized it and quickly hang up. I dial the seven digits and wait for him to pick up.

"Hello?" Dean says and I can tell that he's eating something.

"You son of a bitch! Give me back my case files, those are mine." I snap angrily. I didn't mean to come off as sounding so whiny, but I didn't know if he was going to give them back or not.

"Well since you asked so 'nicely', fine. Where are you staying? I'll bring them to you." I roll my eyes at his sarcasm and lick my lips.

"A motel called the 'Early Riser', room 17." I say to him. I hear him chuckling.

"Well... what do you know, we're at the same place." I drop my jaw, "I'll be there in a minute." I hear him say before he hangs up on me. I pace for a minute, making sure my room looks neat, which it doesn't. My clothes are thrown around and some makeup is strewn on the bed. I was about to pick some of it up where there's a knock on the door. I straightened out my dress and answer it.

"Hey," Dean says, walking right into my room. He throws the files down and look around the room. "What a rip off, we have the same looking rooms." Dean says, stuffing his hands in his leather jacket.

"Well, it's a motel. It's not like they're different suits here." I grumble and sit down to look over the case file. I see the same gruesome pictures of women that I'd seen in person. Dean sits down next to me on the bed.

"Your dress looks very... professional." He says, smirking at me. I wave a hand at him and continue reading. I let my long hair out of the tight pony tail I'd had it in and ruffled it to make it look less flat. I could sense Dean staring at me. I didn't look at him, just continued reading.

When I'm finished, I close the folder and throw it on the chair across from me. Dean was still around kind of awkwardly and I look at him.

"Where's Sam?" I ask and he looks away.

"In the room upstairs." He says and I frown.

"Oh." I say. Dean gets up and paces in front of me.

"Do you like him, or something?." Dean asks, a foreign look on his face.

"Well... Yeah. He's nice." I say and Dean tenses up. He stops pacing and looks at me.

"Hm." He says flatly. I look at him and squint.

"Do you remember..." I trail off, and Dean waits for the question. "Your mom?" Dean nods his head, looking a little shocked.

"Yeah. A lot, actually." He says and I smile.

"Like what?" I ask.

"Her smile, her eyes, her kindness." He shrugs. It seems like he's just naming off a list, not actually thinking about it.

"How'd you lose her?" I ask, not fully knowing. Bobby never said anything, and avoided the question.

"Well... My Dad always said there was a demon who attacked her. Sam was just a baby, and I was in bed." He says, staring at the ground.

"Sorry..." I say, and he shakes his head.

"No, don't be." He says, clenching his fists.

"You know..." I start to say, after a silence. "I feel hopeless... About my parent's deaths. It's like... I couldn't help then, how will I do anything now?" I say, feeling my throat tighten. Dean gets up, looking angry.

"Don't say that." He says, clearly I struck a nerve.

"What?" I say, and he shakes in fury.

"You can do something, Sam and I are doing that." He says and I laugh.

"Dean, I'm new at this. I need some time to kill some easy things first." Dean rolls his eyes at me and I laugh again.

"Do you think this is some kind of joke?" Dean asks me and I stop.

"No, I just-" I start but Dean cuts me off.

"Sam and I have devoted our lives to this, and the same thing happened to you. How can you not want to kill the bastard who stole your parents from you?" Dean says angrily and I frown.

"Dean, you obviously don't know what I want. Of course I want to kill that bastard, but I'm too new at this." Dean turns to me quickly,

"You're right, but I've got an idea. How about you start hunting with Sam and me, permanently. We could teach you everything and give you extra protection." Dean says and I look away. There he goes again. Doesn't he know that I'll just slow them down?

"I'll think about it." I say, and Dean gets up and storms out, slamming the door behind him. I don't know what's wrong with him, Dean always seemed to be in a bad mood.

I go over to the case file again. I wasn't going to worry about this now. I needed to stick to this case and get as much practice as possible. Maybe... even figure out what this was on my own.