Chapter 9

A/N:  Here is another chapter and I hope you enjoy it.

Detrick (D) POV

I collapse on my bed and I stare up at the ceiling.

This can't be real. However, deep down, I know that they aren't lying.

I glance over to the picture of my mother and me on the nightstand, and I begin to re-play things that I had previously ignored throughout my life.

I never questioned why we moved so much when I was younger. It wasn't until middle school and I finally met and became good friends with Shane and Dee that I finally refused to move again. Unfortunately, at the same time, my mother had found out that she was sick, and we had no choice but to stay in one spot.

I never questioned why she didn't want people to know much about us, or why I was never allowed to tell people that I'm from Thailand. Even though I was told to keep it a secret, I did tell Shane and Dee, but it wasn't until after a few years when I was confident enough that they wouldn't hurt me.

I roll on my side and reach towards the nightstand. With my eyes still focused on my mother, I grab the picture frame and I bring it to me.

I look at my mother. This isn't the first time that I notice that I don't look anything like my mother, but this is the first time that I know why. I'm not actually her son.

I run my finger over my mother as tears begin to well up in my eyes. Why did she do that? Why did she lie to me?

I don't even know who I am now. My whole life has been a lie. No wonder, my grandparents don't know when my birthday is. Did they even know that I was kidnapped or did my mother tell them that she had a child? There are so many questions that I want answered, but I will never get those answers. However, if my mother was still alive, I wouldn't be sitting in Thailand right now and I would still ignorantly be following her instructions thinking that she is my mother.

Well, she is my mother, or at least, the only mother that I've ever known.

Ugh... This is completely messed up.

Guilt slowly begins to consume me as I find myself actually happy that my mother got sick. If she didn't, then I would have never met Tee, but how could I do that to my mother. All she ever did is love me. That is one thing that I know. My mother has always loved me with all of her heart.

UGH!!! Why did she do that? Couldn't she have adopted a child without having to kidnap me?

As quick as the guilt rolls in, anger soon follows. How could she have done that? Everything that I've heard from Tee today tells me that he grew up in a loving home. I couldn't help, but to catch the subtle undertones of sadness that seems to have followed his family, no matter what the event was. They longed for me to be there and I would have been if only my mother didn't sneak me out of the hospital.

UGH!!! I HATE THIS!!!!

Am I wrong to love my mother? Well, she isn't really my mother, but all my life, I've only known her as my mother.

I do have to admit that she was always a very loving mother. I don't know if I could have a better mother. No. That isn't true. From what Tee has told me about our mother, she would have been very loving too.

How do I make this stop? I need to take some time to let this all absorb in, but I don't know if I will ever accept it.

My blood begins to boil as I think about the time that I have missed out with my brother and my parents. I begin to fume even more as the reality of my life sinks in. It was all a lie that I ignorantly thought was good. HOW STUPID COULD I HAVE BEEN?