Chapter Twenty-Two

I was in the kitchen, grabbing breakfast when the doorbell rang. I groaned because I knew who it was. It was Daniel, who like yesterday was here to pick me up for School. Despite my protests, he insisted on taking me to school and dropping me off. He claimed it was all part of the buddy-system to keep the Coven safe, but I wasn't fully convinced. Dara chuckled into her cereal bowl from the kitchen table. 

"Sounds like Daniel's here," she said in sing-song. 

"You're coming with us, ya know?" Part of the buddy system meant Dara came along too. She was a Witch too, even if she didn't want to practice magic. Plus, her being my sister made her a target for Naomi and Maverick. Kate was working on gathering proof that Maverick was working with Naomi and her followers, but I didn't need proof. I knew it was true.

"Mhh hmm, I know, it's all part of your paranoia that someone might off me." I gave her a look. She put her cereal bowl in the dishwasher and held up her hands defensively. 

"It's not that I'm paranoid--

"I know, you're just doing your part for big sisters' duties. I get it." She smiled at me. Sometimes, I forgot that she was only a year younger than me. To me, she would always be six years old, but the girl who stood before me was so much more than that. She was about to turn sixteen. I couldn't help but think about my sixtieth birthday and it made me smile. 

"When did you grow up? I swear you're like forty-five." She rolled her eyes but we walked to the door. By the time we got to the living room, mom had already let Daniel inside. He was standing tall in a pristine white button-up with his casual blue jeans. I had to admit, he did look good. His hair was cut even shorter, almost a buzz cut, but it looked good on him. It made him look older, more official. 

"Ready?" Daniel asked brightly. I forgot how much of a morning person he was. 

"What? Oh, uh yeah," I grabbed my bag off the ground and followed him to his car. Dara instantly took the backseat as I slid into the passenger seat. I forgot how comfy his Prius was, but I hadn't forgotten his taste for Country music. I didn't comment on his music choices, I just leaned back and tried to mentally prepare for school. 

We didn't really talk in the car. I think Dara and Daniel felt awkward about being in such close proximity. The two didn't really know each other. I didn't mind the silence. As I stared out the window, I was brought back to my first day in Salem. When my mom drove us here, I had been in such a different headspace. Today, I was more at peace with the life I had than ever before.

Just as we pulled into the school parking lot, Jamie text me. I smiled down at my phone, beyond happy to see his name on my screen. He asked me what time I get out of class. I quickly responded, feeling like today got a little better. 

"So, um see you guys later." Dara waved goodbye and headed towards her own class.

"Do you need a ride home?" I yelled loudly through the halls.

"Nah, I'ma go to Gemma's after school. You're welcome to come too," she waited for my response. I almost told her yes. She'd been on me about meeting her new friend. 

"Um, maybe," I reluctantly answered. She rolled her eyes and turned around. 

"Gemma?" Daniel raised an eyebrow. Sighing, I entered our History class. We had a substitute, which usually would have been a good thing, except Daniel and I needed to talk with her about our project. 

"Yeah, it's her friend." I thought for sure I had mentioned Gemma to Daniel before. 

"Hmm, that name sounds familiar? Does she go here?" I nodded and we changed the subject. We chatted about school and our homework, mostly about our project that was due soon. We were nearing towards the end of the term. Finals were coming up and I wasn't as prepared as I would have wanted.