Forty-Seven || Abominable Snowman

|| Abominable Snowman

You will no longer exist.

A wave of nausea rolled over Jacy, her vision blurring as she steadied herself against the back of her car. The racing of her heart burned out her hearing as the world swirled, the concerned voices of her brother and grandmother falling on deaf ears.

"Jacy..." Jordan took a hesitant step forward, reaching his hand out as his sister's eyes rolled into the back of her head.

"Don't touch her!" Honey barked, pulling back to cover her eyes as Jordan's hand connected with Jacy's shoulder.

Red sparks crackled between them, flashing off like fireworks before he could recoil.

Jacy's eyes ripped open, searing an electric blue. She pulled into herself, her fangs forcing themselves forward as she tried to hide them not from her family, but from the rest of the world.

Honey reached for Jordan's hand, drawing him two steps back from Jacy as her shoulders shook.

Although they were expecting the rage that often came with an unprompted shift, they were met with tears.

Soft sobs were muffled by Jacy's sleeve, hot tears soaking the sweater. "Please leave," she cried.

"Jace, please let us help you," Jordan begged, his own hand rising to his face as his eyes welled. "Let us do something."

"There's nothing you can do." She waited for her fangs to withdraw, disappearing along with the vibrant hue of her eyes. She sank down to the ledge of her trunk, legs unsteady as she looked up. "There's nothing you can do but run. Run far away from me."

"You know I'm not going to do that." Jordan's jaw clenched, fighting back tears. "You know I would never do that. I'm your brother. I pulled you out of your drift."

Jacy's eyes held a hateful film, her anguish misdirected. "And what was it worth?"

Honey and Jordan's expression's slacked, blood running cold.

"Don't talk like that," Jordan begged.

"You're telling me that this town wouldn't be better off without me here?" Jacy snapped. "I've killed thirty people just this week and it clearly sounds like it's not going to get any better."

"How many times do we have to tell you that it's not your fault?" asked Jordan. "Not a single one of us blames you, but it's not going to mean anything unless you believe it too."

"You're right, it doesn't mean anything." She rose from the ledge of her car. "Because I don't believe. Something else I don't believe is how Nana knew that we can't touch." Eyes that were once soft and loving for her grandmother had been coated by something else that even she wasn't sure of. "Maybe you know about the legends of the Doctors, but J's a different piece of the puzzle." She narrowed her eyes at Honey. "So how could you possibly know about it?"

Jordan, the ever-faithful grandchild, wasn't quite sure how to defend Honey. "Nana, how did you know that? I don't even understand what it means."

Honey's eyes flickered between Jacy and Jordan, guilt growing. "The, uh...the spirits have been talking. They see so much more than the living, so they have more information than the rest of us. Just like your friend Lydia is trapped in her own body at that Eichen House, but a spirit of one of her friends is trying to help her break out."

Jordan lit up. "I knew she would fight."

"Nana, don't deflect just because Jordan has a crush."