Twenty-Nine || Confessions

||

Out in the middle of Beacon Hills Preserve, Lydia and Jordan had been wandering for thirty minutes.

"Anything look familiar?" Lydia asked, having handed him the lead.

"Nothing," replied Jordan. "I'm trying, but it all looks like woods to me."

"Maybe you're thinking about it too much. Maybe it's something you need to feel."

The frustration was evident. "How do I do that?"

Lydia's brows rose, a theory growing. The strawberry blonde threw a punch, Jordan catching it immediately.

"What was that for?" he asked, letting go of her hand. He took a step back, anticipating her step forward.

"To get you to stop thinking," she offered.

Jordan dodged another swing. "Oh, is it supposed to motivate me?" he questioned with a grin.

"No." Lydia moved closer. "It's supposed to get you to stop-" She swung hard, catching him off guard with moves he'd taught her, "-thinking!"

An impressed grin crossed Jordan's face as he stood up straight. He raised his hands, egging her on.

Lydia unleashed an arsenal of moves on the cryptid, throwing kicks and punches alike to keep the high ground.

Jordan kept her at bay effectively, finally grabbing Lydia's forearms and keeping her still.

Taking in Lydia's face as he breathed heavily, his eyes burned orange.

It worked.

The deputy's head turned to the left knowingly, the flaming ring leaving his eyes.

Just beyond a row of trees, bodies clustered around a tree stump.

It was the Nemeton, found at much less a cost than had been originally paid for its location.

||

Sheriff Stilinski motioned to his deputy as he stood at the edge of a body covered by a white sheet. "Give the M.E. five minutes, all right?" Standing in the halls of the high school, he found a familiar face in the crowd.

Noah walked to Theo, pulling him from the tow of deputies keeping students at bay. "Come here." He lowered his voice. "Where's Scott?"

"He's looking for Liam. Scott thinks he's with Hayden."

"And Jacy?"

"She's with Scott," Theo replied.

Noah nodded lightly. "All right. I need a word with you." He subtly took Theo's elbow. "Just you."

Theo and Sheriff Stilinski went to the locker room to avoid the crowd of on-lookers in the hallway. Within minutes of slow words delivered by Noah, Theo could no longer meet eyes with the Sheriff.

Theo looked at his shoes, staring at the stitching of his laces as Noah flipped Theo's library card between his fingers. "Am I going to need a lawyer?"

"You tell me," Stilinski simply replied.

Waterworks had slowly arisen over Theo. "Stiles wasn't there."

"But Donovan was. He was a chimera."

"A wendigo," Theo softly said. "He was looking for Stiles. He was going to kill him."

When Theo finally looked to Sheriff Stilinski, Noah had looked away.

"Donovan said that he was going to kill Stiles in front of you," Theo said directly to Noah. "When he saw me there instead, he tried to get me to tell him where Stiles was."