The Flight

"I dunno how you think we're going to get the sword. We can't go back to Hogwarts while Snape is there."

"Well, that's what we need to puzzle out then, isn't it?" said Hermione with a snap in her voice.

"Great. Just one more thing to get against all odds. We haven't been doing very well at that so far, in case you didn't notice" Ron answered morosely.

"What the hell do you mean, Ron? We got the damn locket!"

"And we almost died in the process. My arm still hasn't fully healed from being splinched. Not to mention, the locket is the ONLY thing we've been able to get. Fat lot of good that's done us, too, seeing as we can't even put a scratch on it."

Ron saw Hermione and Harry exchange a glance. It seemed to Ron that they had already discussed him, were on the same page, and shutting him out...again. He was getting sick of the intimate little glances these two had been sharing lately.

"Ronald, we have to do something," said Hermione. "We can't just stay here forever. We'll be found, the locket will go back to You-know-who, and nobody will be able to stop him. So much rides on this, Ron. We thought you understood the stakes."

"Well don't be too damn sure about that, I'm just Harry Potter's stupid friend, aren't I? Not to mention, we've got the smartest witch who's ever waved a wand, if you can't come up with something, how the hell would I be able to?" he snarled at her.

Hermione put her hand to her forehead, as if shading them from the sun. "Honestly, Ronald, this isn't helping one bit."

"It seems to me you two don't really need my help lately," Ron answered bitterly.

"Just what the hell is that supposed to mean?" Hermione's exasperation was rapidly turning into indignation.

Ron's words came out in a torrent, riding a wave of all the negativity that had been boiling inside him these last few weeks. "Every time I leave you two alone, you start whispering behind my back. Don't think I can't hear you. I may be stupid but I'm not deaf. And you always stop when I come into the room. What the hell is so secret that you can't talk about in front of me?"

"I can't talk to you at all when you get like this," answered Hermione.

"Oh, good job, dodging that question!" Ron's voice grew louder and louder. "I knew it was inevitable, I just didn't think it'd happen so soon. You fancy Harry, I know you do, don't try to deny it. Why else would you push me aside like this?"

"Now look here!" Harry finally joined the conversation. "You don't get to talk to her that way. Hermione's put up with a lot from you, Ron, why do you think she'd do that if she didn't care for you? I think you owe her an apology."

"Oh that's rich, coming from you. Here comes Sir Lancelot, riding in on his goddamn white horse, to rescue his damsel from the beastly Ron! You were supposed to be my best friend! But you won't stop until you've taken everything from me, will you?" Harry stared open-mouthed at Ron, torn between a desire to laugh or tear him a new one.

"You took my family from me, Harry! When you're around, I'm even more invisible to them than usual! Ginny used to be one of the few people who I could talk to, but not since you've started dating her. It's all Harry-this and Harry-that, we can't get her to pay attention to anything else! Now Hermione, too? You won't rest until I've shrunk down to NOTHING, will you? Greedy git!"

Harry froze as if ice were running through his veins. He couldn't recall ever being so angry with anybody. "How dare you, Ron. HOW DARE YOU!!!" Harry roared. "I've done nothing but be your friend, I've had your back even when you treated me like absolute SHITE...if you really think that of me, why are you even here? I'm just going to find something else to take from you, aren't I?"

"Harry, put the locket down!" said Hermione firmly. None of them recalled seeing him pick it up off of the small table, but Harry had the chain wrapped around his left hand so tight that his fingers were starting to go numb. "It makes all of us crazy, especially Ron. We mustn't start going after each other like this!"

Ron wasn't listening to Hermione, he was too busy trying to process what Harry had said to him. "Yeah, why am I even here?" he asked in a terrible, quiet voice. They all felt a tension in the air, a breathless presence waiting to rend the three of them apart.

Then the shoe dropped. Ron said, "I'm leaving. I know when I'm not wanted." He grabbed his knapsack, walked into the night, and apparated with a loud CRACK! sound.

"Ron! RON!!" Hermione ran after him, desperate tears welling in her eyes, but he was gone, and they had no way to go after him.

A NOTE FROM THE AUTHOR: Thanks for staying with me! Sorry this is so short, it was hard to write. But it's absolutely necessary in the journey to Ron's story. Next chapter things should be picking up quite a bit. I have a surprise character that you probably wouldn't expect, I just hope I can work him in effectively. Hope you come back for Chapter Three.