Chapter 12- Runaways

There was hardly time to get in an argument before Judge Regal had us all ushered out the door. He was furious with the disturbance we had caused, and declared the court irrational.

   “A hearing!” He shouted. “This court was called on a hearing! You blasted people turned it into a vicious attack against one another!”

   I hadn’t had much time to speak to my father before the men in black suits had scooped me up and dragged me out to the car in front. Mallott handcuffed me and told me to be quiet as we sped out onto the street. I couldn’t help but let out a small whimper at Luke’s empty seat.

   Now I’m locked up in my room again, sitting pitifully on my bed. I don’t know what to do with myself. I don’t know what I can do with myself. I’m not capable of much, anymore. Yes, I did start the riot, but I cannot lead it. I just have to hope that it will continue to burn without my embers.

   Before long, there is a knock at my door. I am uneager to open it, but find I have no choice. My visitor opens the door on his own without even giving me a chance to stand up.

   I am startled for a moment, and a bit angered by my visitor’s impetuosity, but all that falls away when I realize who it is.

   “Proditor?” I speak, too wordless to work anything else out. My chest rises hopefully as my father steps forward, his silver eyes urgent.

   “Kylee….” He reaches out a hand and touches my cheek softly. “Daughter.”

   I feel something uncomfortable stir in my chest and turn away from his touch. Proditor’s eyes take on a heavy look. He sighs hurtfully and lets his hand fall beside him. “I am sorry. I expected too much. After all, I am only a stranger to you.”

   My heart thumps loudly. An itch begins to work its way up my back, begging me to speak. I give into the temptation and ask, “How am I not just as unfamiliar?”

   Proditor lets out a deep breath, one from far within him. His face remains still, but somehow moves. It sinks in, sinks down, grows ten years older. A quarter of his life is drained in just three seconds. And in response, he shakes his head pitifully and gazes longingly into my eyes.

   “You look just like your mother.”

   My face is robbed for a moment. I hadn’t expected him to have such an austere reaction. I feel my jaw go slack with speechlessness and my eyes widen in shame before I pull my face back into its normal immovable glance.

   “Hurry up in there!” someone shouts from the door. I watch as one of Nero’s men in black steps back into the hallway.

   “What did you come to tell me?” I ask, removing my tough shield for a moment.

   Proditor takes a breath. “As I said in the courtroom, I do not lie. Everything I told the Jury was correct. Even the things I didn’t say… the things assumed. There is truth in them, as well.”

   “You mean about mom,” I speak.

   Proditor nods gravely. “I cannot speak everything that I must tell you, Kylee. We are in too much danger.” He nods toward the door, where, now, two men are standing, silently monitoring us. They seem out of hearing distance, but I understand my father’s precautions. There is no telling what type of technology the men might have. A simple ear piece could be delivering every word of our conversation to them right now.

   “We will talk soon, though.” Proditor watches my eyes. “We will talk soon. Until then, remember… please, daughter, remember what side you are on. And do what you can to serve it.”