Chapter 13- The Empty Death Sentence

Authors note! 

I know it's been a while! And this is looooooong overdue, but the next chapter is here, and if you're still with me, or if you're new and you haven't had to wait an insanely long amount of time for me to quit being a lousy person and get on with this story, i promise this chapter ends good! And i promise it'll surprise you, also probably confuse you, hopefully entice you, and encourage you to read the rest after i *sigh* get my lousy person arse up and finish this thing! 

That being said, 

Enjoy some Kylee and Nero angst and arguments. 

   I lay awake for hours after Redding has gone. Eventually, I fall into a light sleep that I am quickly chased out of by one of my ever recurring nightmares. When I come to, I see that my room has been straightened around me, and a breakfast tray has been laid out on my bedside table. I reach for the food a bit hesitantly. I am hungry, but suspicious as well. Most of the Royals seem unsure of how to deal with me—as I am half their race, half their servants’ race. They feed me nice food and pamper me like one of their own, but still send me dirty looks and turn up their faces at me like I am a Reject. It makes me wonder if they’ve been hiding things in my food. It seems like they would.

   I eat cautiously, but of course I come up with nothing suspicious. They are people at heart, too, and they know their boundaries. I am taboo as of the moment, meaning that the Royals and Rejects can wonder about me, but they cannot speak about me. And they would never try to endanger me. The consequences would resound a million times worse than the benefits.

   I sip my orange juice slowly, thinking about the effect I’ve had on the people of Rome. I haven’t been allowed outside to actually see yet, but Redding has told me plenty. According to him, the streets are never quiet. Almost every one of the Royals have been affected by my ‘display’ on the stage, and the Rejects are feeling the impact, as well. The slaves living in Rome have begun to fight against their owners. No severe action has been taken yet, but Redding tells me he can tell that the armistice between master and servant won’t be kept long.

   I am just finishing my meal when there is a loud rapture on my door. I stand, feeling like I’ve been through this routine too many times, and wait for whoever it is to intrude.

   As expected, Mallott comes marching into my room with a frown on his face and an order in his mouth.

   “Nero has requested a meeting, Miss Gaud.” I noticed Mallott’s new respectful approach to me, no doubt from his new knowledge of my status. I suppose being the princess of Malaysia has some perks for me, even though there’s no way I could ever become queen.

   “Is it mandatory?” I ask, already knowing the answer.

   “It is unheard of to turn down the king,” he tells me. “I suggest you go.”

   I allow myself a small eye roll. “Alright,” I agree.

   “Follow me,” Mallott instructs. I drag myself a little grudgingly behind him as he leads me down the stairs and around to the living room that Luke first brought me to when I came to his house. As I sit down opposite Nero in the big familiar laced chair, I can’t help but think about Luke’s first words regarding me.

   “I bought you to please my father,” is what he had said. Now of course, I know that to be a lie. But even the thought of myself bringing pleasantry to Nero makes me want to snort. Things have a funny way of happening. I would have never guessed things would ever be like this a month ago when I was first arriving in Rome.

   “Kylee,” Nero purrs in that all too familiar drawl. “I hope you rested well.”

   “Impeccably,” I comment, “And you?”