Chapter 9- Riot

I wake up in the purple comforter bed. I’m too worn out to worry about how I got here. Instead I just slide down further under the sheets and try to fall asleep again.

   “Kylee,” someone whispers.

   A short pop of anger rises in me at my disturber, but it quickly passes. I’m too tired to be angry. I let out a deep sigh and turn over to face the voice. I’m not surprised to find that it’s Luke.

   “Please leave me alone,” I mutter, trying my best to shrink into the pillows.

   Luke ignores my plea and says, “Kylee, we really need to talk.” I narrow my eyes at him and realize that he’s nervous. Scared, even. He’s breathing like he’s just run a marathon, and his eyes keep darting toward the door. I peel myself away from the covers so I can see him better.

   “What’s wrong?” I ask.

   “It’s n—It’s nothing. Please, Kylee, you have to listen to me.” Luke looks horrible. His skin is paler than I’ve ever seen it, and his wounds are still fresh. Some of them have been re-opened, though I don’t know how. The bruise on his chin has turned a nasty yellow, and several of the cuts look like they need to be stitched shut.

   “They hit you again,” I say, my voice full of disbelief.

  Luke’s breathing speeds up and he manages, “I’ll be fine,” but the sweat on his forehead tells me otherwise.

   “Let me—let me help you,” I say tentatively. I’m still mad at him for betraying me, but it’s not like I’ve been entirely truthful either. And he knew I was lying the entire time, and he didn’t say a word about it. So, for now, I’ll let the bad feelings pass.

  “I’m telling you, Kylee, I’ll be okay. You need to listen. It’s about your father.”

   “My… father?” I didn’t even know he was alive.

   “Yes. He’s coming.”

   “Now?!” I ask, eyes wide.

   Luke nods. “He heard about the riot.”

   My father is coming. Now. This very moment. “Is he coming to help me?”

   Luke shakes his head. “I have no idea. But Nero—the government. They’re upset. They might do something to him. Or worse, to you.”

   “What am I supposed to do?” I ask.

   “Protect yourself. Be ready. I think—“ Luke cuts off.

   “You think what?” I pressure him.

   Luke takes another short glance at the door. “I think they’re going to try to stop the riot.”

   “Well… that’s good,” I say, although it feels like a lie.

   “No, it’s not.” Luke’s grass green eyes darken in concern. “The government is hash, Kylee. They won’t stand around or ask politely for the people to stop. They’ll take to violence.”

   “What are you saying?” A chilling feeling has begun to make its way up my back.

   “People could be hurt. Killed, even. They don’t know what they’ve gotten themselves into. They don’t know how severe the government can be.”

   A picture of Redding lying dead pops into my mind. It’s only an ugly prospect from my dream, but how quickly could it become reality?

   “You mean… innocent people could die because of me?” I ask, terrified for their fates.