Chapter 29

As soon as I walked through my front door, granny Linda grabbed ahold of me and shook me. "Are you out of your mind? Hanging out with a deranged man for all this time!" Her wrinkly face contorted with worry and anger. "You could have been killed! It's all my fault...I should have been m-"

I interrupted her, wriggling away from her tight grasp. "I did not know he was Noah Bates at first. Besides, he is not a killer. He just needs psychological help is all."

"He burned two houses down when he escaped; he almost killed the residents!" Linda fired back.

I dug my teeth into my bottom lip, irritated. "I-I don't think he-"

"Do not try to sugarcoat his actions, Evangeline." She sighed, slumping down on the sofa. "I don't want to argue with you. What happened, happened. I'm just glad you're okay." Looking up at my gloomy face, she added. "Your parents arrive the day after tomorrow."

My heartbeat accelerated, I was not ready to face them. I nodded and then told her about my upcoming visits to the Black Willow Mental Institution. She gasped in an exaggerated manner and began lecturing me about how much of a risky idea that was and all I did was shut her out of my head. I hurriedly climbed upstairs to my bedroom, her voice becoming inaudible.

As I buried my face in my pillow, all I could think of was Cole's electric blue eyes before I drifted off to sleep. And then a realization struck me; the hottest fires always burn blue.

Like a record stuck in a groove, one thought kept replaying itself over and over in my head. Was that the true reason why Cole was infatuated with the color blue? Not because it was a calming color but because it reminded him of all the fires he initiated? My lips curled and my nose flared with disgust as I pulled back my blue strands in a tight bun.

The day was passing by rather quickly, and as the time got closer to 2 PM, my nerves were all over the place. I had 5 missed calls from my adoptive parents; I chose to ignore their calls. I did not want to talk to them just yet. There's plenty of time for that tomorrow.

With arms folded tightly across my chest, I tapped my foot nervously, waiting at the reception desk for Leila. It was 2 PM sharp, and Claudette told me that Leila will escort me to Cole's cell. They have removed him from the padded cell. Thank God for that.

In a couple of minutes, Leila emerged from her office and said to me with a smile. "Hello Evangeline."

I greeted her back and she motioned for me to follow her. As I walked behind her, nothing was audible but the echoes of my footsteps and the clicking of her heels on the tile floor. Leila stopped at a cell and turned around to look at me. "Noah Bates is one of four patients who is being held in a cell like this." She pointed to the thick metal bars securing the locked cell. "Usually, patients have normal rooms." Running a hand through her hair, she added. "We've had our fair share of complications with him, is why." With that, she left me alone.

My breathing was rapid and shallow as I took a few steps forwards, standing in the center of the cell. I was not allowed to go in and if anything happened, I was requested to press the black button on the wall. My heart stopped and my body became stiff as I faced Cole. I was rooted to the floor, basking in the sight before me. There he was, sprawled on the bed, bandages covering the burns and cuts he inflicted upon himself. His eyes were staring vacantly at the ceiling. He did not really acknowledge my presence.

He was wearing white clothing that matched the walls surrounding him. His snow-like hair was disheveled and his lips were pressed into an uncharacteristic grim line.

"Cole," I finally spoke, fiddling with the hem of my shirt.

His eyes shut open but he did not move. "My little bluebird." He drawled.

I swallowed back hard, he was not his usual self. He must have been sedated or something. I wanted to ask if he was all right but chose not to because that will only anger him. Besides, of course he was not all right. "I am going to get you out of here. I promise."

The corners of his mouth tilted up and he chuckled loudly. "Don't make promises you can't keep." His smile then died and was replaced with a frown.

I clenched my fists at my sides. "I assure you that this is a promise I'm going to keep no matter what." He did not reply. He robotically got out of bed and sank down to the floor, with his knees pulled to his chest and his arms clasped around them.

And then he finally looked at me. He squinted at me through hardened eyes. Those intense blue eyes touched by storm clouds held a truth that his face could not hide. The despairing chill they emanated made my heart constrict. I looked away; I couldn't bear it. "Why are you outside and I am inside?" Noticing my confused expression, he rephrased his question. "What makes you so different from me? Why are you considered normal, and I a deranged man?"

My lips parted as I blinked at him. I did not know what to say. We all have flaws and insecurities and maybe even a mental illness, but Cole was a different case. He burned his parents to death, burned nurses, houses, and God knows what else. He was not in control, he needed extensive help.

Cole got up and approached me slowly, like a tiger stalking its prey. He clutched the metal bars separating us tightly, his knuckles turning white. His face was mere inches away from mine. I quivered as I felt his breath fanning along my cheek, warmth radiating off of his sturdy body. Our hearts were beating in unison while we stared at each other.

His eyes softened as he searched my flushed face. "You would do anything for me, right?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N:

ANOTHER CHAPTER! I DIDN'T MAKE YOU WAIT LONG THIS TIME :D

COMMENT BELOW FROM WHICH COUNTRIES YOU ARE. I AM VERY CURIOUS!

HAVE A LOVELY DAY AND REMEMBER YOU ARE BETTER THAN UNICORNS AND SPARKLES COMBINED!