chapter 20

A blast shelter? But there are no bomb blasts threatening us or anything; there is no war whatsoever. When I looked closely, I noticed that the metal was rusted; that meant that this blast shelter has probably been here for years and years. My curiosity aroused. I ached to know what exactly was underneath that door, yet at the same time, I was...afraid. I sucked in a shaky breath, digging my hand in my pocket and pulling out a rubber band. I pulled my hair back tight and put it in a ponytail. I hope I don't regret this, I mumbled to myself as I opened the door.

Scrunching my nose in disgust, I climbed down the rusty ladder, making sure my hands barely touched the metal. When I was closer to the ground, I hopped off the bottom rung of the ladder. It was pitch black down there, the only source of light came from the small opening of the door above me. I took several nervous gulps as I reached out for my phone and turned on the flashlight. Waving it in front of me, I was able to see that there were four folding chairs, and a fold-out table in the middle. Against the walls were two shelves filled with cans of food and bottles of water. Holding my phone higher, four beds came into view. There were two above each other on the left, and two above each other on the right. My phone dropped to the floor once I noticed that there was a sleeping figure on the bed on top. My breathing quickened, growing harsh as I felt my knees go weak.

I crouched, my shaky fingers frantically searching for my phone. When I got a hold of it, I stood up on wobbly legs and swiftly moved my phone from side to side; I tried my best not to panic and wake whoever is sleeping up. And as I did so, white blonde strands glistened across my field of vision. My fast heart rate slowed, and my fear seemed to dissipate. I drew nearer, and squinted my eyes at him. It was Cole all right. But what the hell is he doing down here? I looked around, careful not to make any noise. I'm sure I can manage that, he seems like a pretty heavy sleeper. Maybe I can find something that could help me learn more about him. My eyes were fixed on the table as I stepped towards it. Besides the plates arranged, there was a small photograph on the side. I picked it up and gasped. The little girl staring right back at me with big blue eyes was me. I was about six in the picture and I happened to be waving my hand at someone.

Why was this picture with Cole? I'm sure it wasn't him who took it. I sighed, placing it back where it was. Why can't I remember my encounter with Cole when I was a kid? I whispered under my breath, frustrated. I bit my bottom lip hard as it hit me, I could ask my adoptive parents; they must know something. I was a kid, I'm sure they knew who I used to hang out with, who I used to know. The sound of movement interrupted my jumbled thoughts. I whipped my head round, and was met with fierce blue eyes. Cole was sitting straight, fisting the sheets; his facial expression hard to decipher. He ran his fingers through his messy hair that had fell across his face, and slowly got off of his bed – his intense gaze still locked on me. "What are you doing here?"

I swallowed hard, unsure of what to say. "I found this place by accident. I didn't know you uh-"

He cut me off, approaching me and standing right in front of me. "Live here." He blinked when the light from my phone hit his eyes. I cursed under my breath, not realizing that my fingers were trembling. He grabbed my hand and took my phone away, leaving room for barely any light. I couldn't see clearly at all. Stepping back, I tried to avoid the terror that rose within me. Cole was unpredictable. I dreaded what he could possibly do to me; it was dark and we were underground. I was weaker than ever. I crossed my arms, and clamped my eyes shut; I should pull myself together. Cole never really did hurt me. My eyes flew open as soon as I felt Cole's hand rest on my shoulder, his breath was fanning across the back of my neck as his warm lips pressed lightly against my chilly skin. "Are you afraid of me?"

"No," I quickly blurted out and turned around hesitantly. Even though he does intimidate me, I didn't want to show him that I was like everyone else, that I was afraid of him. I wanted him to trust me; I wouldn't ever want to hurt him. I traced my fingers up his arm, across his hard chest, up his neck to reach his jaw. I felt the muscle in his jaw twitch as I cupped his cheek. "I'm not afraid of you, Cole." He stood still, his hand that was on my shoulder fell down to his side. I couldn't see his face, but I knew it was blank, with no expression whatsoever. "Now tell me, what exactly is this place?"

Cole groaned as he laid his hand over mine. He tightened his grip on it, lowering it down. "This blast shelter was my grandparents'. Their house had been demolished after they died. However, the shelter had been here for about seventy years. There's no electricity or anything. I just stay here; hide. No one really knows of this place."

What about your parents? The question popped into my head, but I pushed it away. All I did was smile. Cole answered my question truthfully. He didn't avoid it. He somehow did trust me in keeping this little secret of his.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N:

HEY GUYS! HOPE U LIKED THE CHAPTER!

DON'T FORGET TO VOTE & COMMENT ! XX

OH AND I WAS WONDERING, FROM WHAT COUNTRIES ARE YOU GUYS FROM? :)