VI

Lace stayed in the same spot for what felt like forever, Hornet gently slumbering. One of her hands was still being held by Hornet, but her grip had loosened. Lace carefully removed her hand, and placed both behind her for support. Regardless of the fact that she would eventually feel uncomfortable in the spot, she enjoyed it while it lasted. She found herself looking at her pin, it had been resting next to her. She picked it up and observed it, holding it over an unconscious Hornet. Suddenly, a memory came to her.

Bells chimed lightly around as Lace crept through under brush. She saw Hornet go this way before, she must have made her stay around here. She carried her pin, shining like honey, she and the pin shared a goal. To find the Weaver, and kill her. Lace was correct, as she did find the spider. She was hiding under a small overhang of rock, some vines growing from it almost made a cover. She was tucked into her cloak like a blanket, asleep. However, as Lace got closer, she noticed something strange. Her body was writhing, added with her breaths being quick and shallow. Her head twitched, it was as if she was being viciously attacked by something in her dreams. Maybe she was. Lace drew her pin, standing above the spider with lowered eyes.
This will be easy... she thought, but not reassuringly. She stared at her body, she felt guilt nag at her.
Why do I feel this way? We fought in Deep Docks, and she proved victorious. I should not feel so guilty! Lace angrily thought, she knew that killing the Weaver in her slumber was quite dirty, but the Weaver had to be stopped. It was Lace's duty to kill her, she was far enough as is. As she drew her pin closer to the spider's neck, she paused. The sight of the usually brave, fearless warrior in such a weak and vulnerable state made Lace stop. A new perspective rose in her mind on the Weaver.
Who knew she could look so... helpless... Lace thought. She found herself backing up, letting the nightmare-ridden Weaver be. She felt as if she wanted to wake the Weaver, to save her. But after their first meeting, there would undoubtedly be conflict and question. Lace took her pin into both of her hands, her reflection staring back.

Lace awoke from her thoughts, hearing the sound of metal tinking against metal. She was still staring at her pin, Hornet undisturbed, but she noticed a pendant resting awkwardly against her pin. She lowered her pin and took up the pendant; all it was-was silk and the simple Weaver symbol. It was Hornet's. She had completely forgotten that just before Hornet left Pharloom she gave her the necklace as thanks for all she did, regardless of their bouts. Lace at first did not accept the gift, as Hornet had it all her life and was bestowed upon her by her mother, but she took it as Hornet was adamant on her keeping it. It was old, been through different fights as Hornet would wear it wherever she went, but still intact and shined as if it were new. Lace developed a habit of feeling it subconsciously, unbeknownst as to why. It gave her comfort though. Lace gently set her pin next to her, and quietly admired the necklace.

"I want you to have this, as my gratitude." Hornet stood in front of Lace, undoing the necklace she had worn through her entire adventure in Pharloom. She put it around Lace's neck, clipping it in and letting it rest.
"I cannot accept this—your mother gave you this, did she not?"
"Yes, she did. Please, just take it. I would never do this for anyone else..."
Hornet left after that, Lace thought she'd never see her again.
"What are you afraid of?" Lace muttered.

"You kept it, and it looks just as I left it." Hornet's voice awoke Lace, she looked down.
"I thought you were asleep..."
"I was, not for very long." Hornet shifted, and carefully got up. Hornet turned to her with a concerned expression.
"Are you sure you're alright? I seem to be catching you deep in thought, it worries me..." Hornet anxiously scratched the back of her head, Lace rolled her shoulders with a added sigh.
"Just a lot of thoughts after coming here."
"What are they about?"
"Plenty of different things... You, me, Hallownest, Pharloom... It's just a lot."
"Do you need to cry about anything?"
"Pff—hah!" Lace burst with laughter, "you've just been waiting for the perfect chance to say that, haven't you, little spider?" Lace smiled at her, giggling through her sentence. Hornet smiled, shaking her head around.
"Mmh... maybe so..." She joked, they both chuckled happily together. As their laughter died down, Lace felt one of Hornet's hands. They brought up their arms in which their hands were holding, and simply admired their intimacy.
"No," Lace began, "I have nothing to cry about... At the moment." She heard Hornet snicker, Hornet then observed her hand.
"I forgot to ask you, why the new outfit?" Hornet then looked at her, Lace looked at herself as well.
"Oh—I don't know, going up the ranks I suppose. Which I guess means better outfits. Do you not like it?"
"No—I do like it, I was just curious. You look very nice." Not much had changed regarding Lace's appearance, she simply wore ruffled lace gloves, along with collar, and an attachment around her stomach that served as protection. It was not all that special, yet Hornet seemed to admire it.
"Thank you, I see you wear the same dress as I remember."
"Cloak."
"Dress."
"Cloak." Hornet gave Lace a light, playful push to her shoulder with her own.
"Dress, Princess~" Lace gave one back. They then rested their shoulder against each other.
"Whatever you say, creature of the unknown."
"Creature of the unknown?" Lace stared at Hornet.
"Are you a bug? I cannot tell!" Hornet laughed, "it's just a joke."
"Yeah yeah, don't worry about it." Lace nodded. As they talked, their hands still held together. Lace wished they could stay together like this.
She has three other hands, right? What's wrong with having one all to myself? Lace thought delightedly.