(Ch 7) How I Paid for College

Chapter 7

She must be losing her mind, Charley thought as she sat at a table outside the café, while Tate got them both coffees. She’d been trying so hard the entire ride back to the city to ignore him and yet here she sat waiting his return.

She couldn’t help caving in when he invited her to coffee, she argued with herself. There was something about the way he’d asked her, the way his eyes dimmed as she’d been about to decline his offer.

The conditions she’d added after had been a spur of the moment thing. As much as she wanted to spend this time with him – something she knew she shouldn’t want – there had to be boundaries. They needed to get to know each other without the added pressure of dating attached to it.

She took a deep breath trying to steady her unhinged nerves. She couldn’t remember the last time she’d been this anxious. Tate set every nerve within her body on edge making her feel dazed. And not in a bad way either. These are emotions she normal protected herself against, but there was something about the rush she felt when she was with him. It was something she wanted to explore, but at the same time she was wary of. She knew what these emotions meant, what they developed into if not kept under control, but she assured herself she would keep them under control.

There’s no harm in giving Tate a chance, Scott had said and unbelievably, Charley was considering the truth of those words.

She looked up when Tate came out of the café, two Styrofoam cups in his hands. He smiled at her devilishly and all she could respond was a weakened smile in return, her breath catching.

Oh hell, did he have to look so handsome.

She thanked him with a smile for the coffee he set before her and gladly took a sip, distracting her from the strong male who took a seat across from her.

He continued to smile at her. It was clear he was more than pleased she’d agreed to join him and it lifted Charley’s heart to see him in such good spirits. She knew she’d left him a bit ruffled after she’d practically abandoned him on the dance floor earlier. But she’d had her reasons. She’d come too close… too close to agreeing to go out with him.

She studied him now, curious to know what went on in that mind of his. “Why do you always smile like that?” she found herself asking before she could stop.

“What? Don’t you like my smile?” He asked wiggling his eyebrows, making her laugh.

“I never said that.”

“Ah, so you do like it.” she glowered at him, making him chuckle. “I’ve been told my smile is quite charming.”

Now that she could believe, she thought to herself.

“Do you not agree with their opinions?”

“My opinion is irrelevant.”

“Ah, but it is more relevant than you think.” He sent her a challenging stare over the rim of his cup which she matched with her own.

As much as he rattled her nervous system, Charley knew she couldn’t back down from this stare off, nor would she allow herself to get lost in the crystal clear waters of his eyes.

“I thought you promised to behave.” She remarked.

“I was,” he leaned back, breaking their challenging connection, for which she was grateful. “You’re the one that brought it up.”

“Well now I’m the one changing the subject.” She stated.

He waved a hand between them. “The floor is all yours.”